- Full Time
Portland Monthly magazine is seeking a dogged, passionate, sharp-witted journalist for an opening in the position of News Editor on our Editorial Team in Portland, Oregon. The News Editor will join our team to oversee the magazine’s lively front-of-book Dispatch section, which encompasses news, business, civics, social justice reporting, and more. Plus, you’ll write and edit narrative features, helm research projects, and contribute content for our online platforms. As a senior member of the editorial staff, you will help shape the tone and content of the magazine; underscoring its mission to delight, inform, and challenge readers every issue. The ideal candidate is a reporter first, with a genuine passion for illuminating how the city works—politically, economically, and demographically—and should possess a deep curiosity about institutions, nonprofits, and businesses that help support and move it forward. The person we’re looking for rejects tiresome Portlandia stereotypes and wants to explore all of the people and cultures that call our fast-changing city home.
Portland Monthly is committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom: applicants of color and diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work with Portland Monthly’s editorial team to produce an award-winning monthly magazine, from contributing story ideas and managing story packages to researching and writing narrative features, brainstorming live events, and representing the magazine at media and community functions.
- Manage all aspects of Portland Monthly magazine’s Dispatch section, including research and story selection, commissioning and editing of staff and freelance articles, coordinating with art department, and writing/editing online coverage including breaking news.
- Oversee a handful of annual research projects (private schools survey and neighborhood statistics)
- Develop, write and/or edit research-driven, long-form narrative features.
- Bring a lively, urgent tone to coverage and cultivate relationships with the community.
- Contribute to the magazine’s general coverage outside the Dispatch section.
- 4 or more years’ experience in reporting and/or editing for magazines or other print publications.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, write, and edit narrative features and multipage service packages.
- Ability to seamlessly pivot from an in-depth, reported City Hall explainer to a 50-word humor piece to a true crime feature.
- High comfort level with spreadsheets, public records requests, and handling institutional gatekeepers
- Annoyingly high standards for accuracy and quality.
- Firm grounding in journalism ethics and values.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and clips with the subject line “Portland—News Editor.” No phone calls, please. We will contact you if your skills and experience are a good fit for our team.
About SagaCity Media:
SagaCity Media Inc. is the parent company of the preeminent lifestyle media brands in Houston, Seattle, Portland, Sarasota, Aspen, Vail, and Park City. In their respective markets, Houstonia, Seattle Met, Portland Monthly, and Sarasota Magazine produce the largest-selling magazines, most-visited local lifestyle websites, and industry-dominating numbers of engaged social media followers. SagaCity also proudly produces web content and publications elsewhere, many of them award-winning, for conventions and visitors’ bureaus or lodging associations in such markets as Portland, Seattle, Aspen, Washington state, Eastern Oregon, Bellevue, Tacoma, Galveston, Aurora, Eugene and Vancouver.
SagaCity Media, Inc. is an EEO employer. For more information about us, please visit: http://sagacitymedia.com/
Apply for News Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly