Senior Editorial Researcher
- Full Time
For 80 years, Consumer Reports has stood alongside consumers, empowering them with the knowledge they need to make free, informed, confident choices in the face of a complex marketplace. An independent, nonprofit organization, Consumer Reports helps to make the world fairer, safer, and healthier through its rigorous, unrivaled testing and analysis of products and services, groundbreaking investigative reporting on marketplace issues, and by amplifying consumer voices so that they are heard and responded to by manufacturers, regulators, and government leaders.
A cornerstone of our organization, our Editorial Research professionals rigorously check facts for online, print, and video content that have input from many sources of data, outside experts or multiple internal teams, ensuring the accuracy and integrity of our content.
This is a short-term position, starting in August and expected to end December, 2019.
- Reviews online, print, and video script copy and sources provided by writers and editors for completeness and accuracy.
- Works with a high degree of autonomy and checks highly sensitive pieces, such as high profile content.
- Ensures text is accurate and is derived from appropriate sources.
- Works with writers and editors on sourcing issues and wording of articles.
- Suggests clarifying phrases or wording to ensure accurate presentation of facts.
- Locates additional sources of data to validate facts.
- Makes recommendations to improve departmental processes.
- Ensures appropriate documentation of fact checking materials and content at the conclusion of story.
- May conduct research on a topic and write a related article.
- Performs other duties as assigned but not those of a higher level.
- College graduate, graduate credits preferred or equivalent experience with at least 3 - 5 years work experience-doing research for a magazine or newspaper.
- Must demonstrate excellent research skills and knowledge of fact-checking procedures.
- Must be highly skilled at gathering information from various sources.
- Must be able to translate very complex statistical and technical data into plain English.
- Must be extremely detail oriented, thorough, organized, and able to work well under rigid deadline pressures.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential.