Director of Media & Strategic Engagement
- Full Time
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve systems of democracy and justice in the United States. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Brennan Center’s work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from ending mass incarceration to preserving Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them – in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
Brennan Center is a hive for impactful policy and advocacy work, and communications is vital to the success of that work. In recent years, Brennan Center experts and research have appeared in local, regional, national, and international press. The organization has strong relationships with reporters, columnists, editors, and producers. And its spokespeople are highly regarded experts and public intellectuals.
The Director of Media and Strategic Engagement leads the organization’s work with the press and provides a primary interface with program leaders. Managing a team of four strategists (with one based in Washington) and reporting to the Vice President of Communications and Strategy, the incumbent is charged with crafting and implementing ambitious media strategies around the Center’s research and projects. In partnership with other communications leaders, the Director shapes messaging and strategy around major public campaigns. The Director is final eyes on all opinion pieces, press releases, and pitches. Working with the Vice President and the Managing Director for Communications and Strategy, the Director helps prioritize projects and set measurable goals for the success of those projects.
- In partnership with the VP of Communications and programmatic leadership, set and implement effective media strategies for priority projects and research;
- Strengthen outreach to editorial boards, bookers, columnists, and influential national journalists;
- Craft a winning strategy for advancing Brennan Center experts on television, on the radio, and online;
- Lead and manage a team of four communications strategists and oversee press outreach, media requests, publication roll-out plans, and opinion pieces;
- Collaborate closely with the editorial, creative, and digital teams to ensure core research is reaching influential journalists;
- Ensure effective partnership with the Center’s President and program leadership on a range of communications projects;
- Enhance rapid response capacity and improve the efficiency of workflow on media-related projects;
- Monitor press performance and publish weekly analysis not just of hits but of impactful performance, help shape the internal narrative of what “success” in the press looks like;
- Provide leadership within the communications department and across the organization in futures planning;
- Lead and continue an effective media training curriculum for staff; and
- Write and edit Center materials and content.
- At least 5 years of related experience in politics or government communications, non-profit or private sector communications, or journalism;
- Track record of implementing effective media strategies, developing relationships with high-profile journalists, and achieving impactful media placements;
- Experience integrating traditional and digital media strategies;
- Understanding of how to shape stories and how communications can be used to elevate the work of a national organization;
- Experience in, and passion for, effectively managing and developing staff, including the ability to support and guide multiple staff at different levels and keep track of projects relating to each;
- Strong ability to work collaboratively and move strategies forward with senior leadership both at the Center and with allied organizations;
- Ability to quickly assess and deploy appropriate resources to respond to breaking news and other developments;
- Enthusiasm for and ability to work in a fast-paced, shifting environment with competing deadlines and priorities;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and proven ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with staff in other departments;
- Passion for democracy, justice, and rule of law issues;
- Strong writing skills and media savvy.
TO APPLY: Please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/ZuhWK4VXO8/National-Media-Director, and upload (preferably in pdf) your cover letter, resume, a list of contact details for 3 references, and two relevant writing samples using the drop down menus. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. No calls, please. If you are unable to upload your documents, you may send them to email@example.com with "Director of Media" in the subject line, after registering in the online system.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Hires staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic identities;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.