Art in America: Director of Sales
- Full Time
Art in America: Director of Sales
Penske Media Corp., (PMC) is hiring a Director of Sales who will have leadership responsibilities for Art in America and will have sales responsibilities across both of our titles, Art in America and ARTnews. In addition to overseeing sales for Art in America’s monthly print publication, the Director of Sales will foster growth with an expanding array of digital products and Live Media events. The Director of Sales must have a visible presence in the New York art world, established through regular attendance at key day and evening events, as well as strong professional networks in international art centers.
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Art in America Director of Sales will have the following responsibilities:
- Capture and close new business from trade and non-endemic advertisers
- Provide sales closing support to sales personnel (as related to Art in America)
- Management of sales team on a daily basis (as related to Art in America)
- Support President/CEO, Art in America Editor, and Live Media team in development of new products as they relate to sales
- Generate proposals and respond to RFPs
- Strategic development for Web-based business, and manage implementation of same
- Oversee and monitor daily all sales activity using Salesforce, and produce weekly tracking reports
- Work with accounting team to estimate and meet budgets for print advertising and ancillary revenue
- Establish and oversee sales team sales projections (Art in America)
- Work and travel as necessary with sales personnel to achieve sales goals
- Identify and manage Art in America participation in essential fairs and events
- Generate revenue through sponsored Live Media events
- Oversee marketing efforts as they pertain to sales (focus on Art in America)
- Work with accounting team on budget projections and collections
- Work with President to establish and oversee sales team T&E
- Support personnel department and President/CEO to oversee personnel issues with sales team, including performance evaluations, etc.
- Work with circulation department to maximize circulation efforts
- Work with Editor to realize Art in America objectives overall
- Sales skills sufficient to bring in and close new and existing business
- Must have management experience and leadership skills to manage a staff of six full-time and/or independent sales representatives.
- Thorough knowledge of international art market, its institutions, galleries, auction houses and personalities, especially those in New York City. Strong rolodex in the art world
- Familiarity with advertising agency practices and the non-endemic advertising sector
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
- Interest in and familiarity with the fine and decorative arts and collectibles is a plus
About Art in America:
Founded in 1913, Art in America has provided groundbreaking critical insight into contemporary art and culture for many generations. Through exhibition reviews, interviews with leading artists, and in-depth essays by critics, curators, and scholars at the forefront of their fields, the magazine offers authoritative coverage of the most important developments occurring in art in the United States and around the world. Today, Art in America is more influential than ever before, with a dedicated audience of more than one million people—both art world insiders and general readers seeking access to the latest cultural trends. A growing portfolio of digital products complements the magazine’s print edition, including a robust new online version of the Art in America Annual Guide, which has long been an indispensable resource for art professionals. Art in America’s parent company, Penske Media Corporation (PMC), is a leading digital media company, publishing, and information Services Company founded in 2003.
PMC’s award-winning content attracts a monthly audience of more than 180 million and empowers more than 1 million global CEOs and business thought-leaders in markets that impact the world. Our dynamic events, data services, and rich content entertain and educate today’s fashion, retail, beauty, entertainment and lifestyle sectors. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 11 countries worldwide, Penske Media is the way global influencers are informed, connected, and inspired. To learn more about PMC and its iconic brands, visit www.pmc.com.