Junior Designer - Knopf Publishing Group
Posted: 7/9/2019 | Expires: 8/8/2019
Location: NEW YORK, New York
Function: Creative & Design
Specialty: Graphic Design
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Penguin Random House is seeking a Junior Designer to join the Knopf Publishing art department! The Junior Designer will support the Art Director and the entire Design department in day-to-day design duties. The Junior Designer will also work closely with the managing editorial team and the production department. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn how to create book covers and about the overall publishing process.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Preparing mechanicals, and assisting in picking specs.
* Preparing files for production.
* Reviewing and correcting proofs with the assistance of senior staff.
* Utilizing design skills in the modification of layouts and series titles.
* Adapting hardcover designs for paperback, putting together movie tie-in covers.
* Making reprint corrections.
* Designing typography-driven eBook covers.
* Designing original book covers.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Graphic design degree
* Design internship experience a plus
* Genuine interest in book cover design
* Ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline driven environment
* Strong organizational skills with firm attention to detail
* Ability to think and work creatively
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Strong knowledge of the MAC platform and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat)
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your résumé and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.