Assistant News Director
- Full Time
Reporting to the Director of News, the Assistant News Director will oversee daily news operations. This position will help make sure the best stories of the day are covered and presented in the most engaging ways possible on each platform. This position works with reporters every day, overseeing their news gathering efforts and being a final set of eyes on their copy. The Assistant News Director works with all other positions in the newsroom to ensure our coverage is accurate and competitive while also meeting our research–based goals on all platforms. The ideal candidate will have a strong record of supporting and growing talent, while also overseeing long-term station projects.
• Oversees Reporters and is responsible for approving reporter’s scripts.
• Ensures that research points are implemented daily.
• Helps copy edit newscasts.
• Challenges statements in stories to insure balance and accuracy.
• Insures integrity of newscast in all phases of writing and production.
• Makes sure content is executed on all platforms, including website and social media sites.
• Protects the station by making sure our stories are legally vetted and fair.
• Provides coaching and reviews work with reporters and managers on regular basis.
• Helps set and maintain news coverage on multiple platforms.
• Plans and executes high-level strategy gleaned from research.
• Back-up to the News Director as needed.
Qualifications:• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university in Journalism or Communications preferred.
• A minimum of 10 years professional experience in local TV news is preferred for this job as well as at least 3 years of news management experience.
• Line Producing experience is a plus.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Must be thoroughly professional in all aspects of journalism.
• Must be well-read on current affairs and have a wide-range working knowledge and understanding of general interest subjects.
• Must possess excellent news judgment.
• Ability to successfully work in a fast-paced, growing and changing work environment
• Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must possess a positive attitude.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.