- Full Time
Poets & Writers Magazine is an award-winning bimonthly magazine for the creative writing community. The leading journal of its kind, it enjoys a readership of 100,000 and a robust online presence. It is published by Poets & Writers, a nonprofit organization formed in 1970 to help creative writers and the literary community nationwide.
The assistant editor is a key member of the editorial team and is responsible for providing vital editorial support for our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine, and our website, pw.org. The assistant editor reports to the editor in chief. This is a full-time position in our New York City office; we offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
- Researching, writing, preparing, and posting Daily News on pw.org each weekday morning.
- Promoting editorial content and audience engagement on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Fact-checking articles for Poets & Writers Magazine and the Poets & Writers Guides.
- Editing Letters to the Editor and compiling In Memoriam for each issue of the magazine.
- Writing sidebars and other brief editorial pieces for the magazine.
- Reading and evaluating spec and query letters; participating in editorial meetings.
- Assisting in the editing of Online Exclusives, including Ten Questions, on pw.org.
- Contribute to the creation of weekly writing prompts on pw.org.
- Research, compile, and enter events in the Events Calendar on pw.org.
- Performing other editorial duties, as needed, including photo and article research as well as proofreading.
- Performing other administrative duties, as needed, including filing, writing correspondence, and handling mail for the editorial department, among other tasks.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least two years of experience editing for print and/or online magazines.
- Excellent journalistic writing, developmental editing, and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, especially in Access, content management systems, and InDesign.
- Highly organized with attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style a plus.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook).
- Familiarity with literary community and interest in contemporary literature.
- Cooperative, enthusiastic attitude.