Public Affairs Director
- Full Time
We have an exciting opportunity for a Public Affairs Director, Campaign for Science. Reporting to the Executive Director, Campaign for Science, you will be responsible for overseeing communications, social media and public affairs for the Campaign. The Campaign for Science brings together thirteen science, engineering and higher education organizations to build strategies in support of science, focusing on state and local advocacy and improved messaging. The Public Affairs Director will help lead the development of a comprehensive communications and alliance development strategy and will manage day-to-day communications, media outreach and social media.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What you’ll do
- Lead public affairs and communications programs to support the goals of the campaign for science—namely to support increased federal R&D expenditures and science-based policy making
- Develop strategies and implement targeted media relations efforts at the state and local level across the country
- Write, edit and place op-eds, blog posts and letters to the editor
- Develop pitches, news releases, media statements and other related press materials
- Provide day-to-day support for the Campaign’s communications
- Conceive and execute social media campaigns and produce content from writing copy to developing graphical elements
- Produce and manage toolkits, talking points, presentations and related materials for Campaign allies and partners
- Serve as a lead media contact for the Campaign
- Lead media monitoring and related analytics
- Manage vendors and consultants
- Coordinate with the Policy Director to amplify research to relevant audiences
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public policy, politics, marketing or related field
- 7-10 years relevant experience in public affairs, communications, media relations, social media and campaigns
- Experience managing consultants and multi-state public affairs operations
- Ability to successfully pitch media both inside and outside of the beltway
- Strong writer and public speaker
- Experience developing social media campaigns and producing content including graphical elements
- Self-starter with the ability to adapt and take on projects as necessary
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by August 8, 2019. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.