- Full Time
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. Our audience of sought-after tech job candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
We're looking for a Tech Reporter
The Tech Reporter will be responsible for writing 2+ breaking news stories a day, and several additional, timely longer-form features a month on trends and broad topics in the technology industry. This person will need to be highly skilled in both research and interviewing, and endlessly curious about tech innovations and what they say about the future.
You’d be joining a growing team responsible for telling bold and original stories that help an audience of tech professionals learn and build new things. You’ll collaborate closely with other members of the team to discover new approaches, formats and perspectives. Additionally, you'll be joining a company that enthusiastically invests in office culture, whether that means shuffleboard, a D&D campaign, free lunches, snacks or cold brew on tap.
Who you are
- Highly skilled in researching and interviewing and won’t hesitate to ask questions
- Full of ideas and excitement for writing about tech industry news, whether it’s announcing a nascent startup’s latest funding, exploring the latest foodtech fads or explaining the ramifications of an IPO
- Can think both holistically and analytically about your work
- Knows how to use analytics to inform decision-making
- Has familiarity with the tech and business beats and their daily news cycles
What you need
- 2+ years of full-time news writing and reporting experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include 2-3 writing samples when applying — at least one example should show you can)
- Ability to work out of Chicago or San Francisco
Examples of articles this person would write:
- Why Silicon Valley companies are coming to Colorado to fuel growth
- The future of AI is here. Regulations? Not so much
- How fake meat captured the tech world's imagination
- Office-dog curious? Here’s how leading tech companies make it work
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.