Sports Beat Reporter - Atlanta Hawks
- Full Time
Provide high-quality, unique and impactful in-depth stories for print and digital publication. The reporter must have the highest quality of research skills, able to ferret out information where others cannot. He or she must be expert at devising an investigative methodology for each story that breaks news and connect the story our audiences. He or she must be highly skilled at research and source development. He or she must be capable of excellent investigative work in three levels: short-term investigation off the news, longer-term enterprise and project-level work designed to create impact. He or she must be capable of the highest quality of storytelling, mixing narrative elements and an authoritative voice to create must-read content that drives impact. He or she must develop high-quality ideas and approaches to the most difficult stories and turn those stories efficiently and effectively into engaging content.
• Report and write with a strong sense of urgency, energy and tenacity. Demonstrates ability to break exclusive stories.
• Demonstrates strong judgment and clear ability to develop reader-focused and high-impact story ideas. Show clear understanding and ability to execute enterprise stories.
• Shows the ability to write with voice, authority and narrative elements to produce polished copy. Writes clearly with sophistication, absolute accuracy and balance, all while doing it on deadline and in a variety of technology tools and social media platforms.
• Displays depth as a reporter and capability of devising reporting methods to get at the difficult stories. Shows an ability to question team personnel and not take their word for granted but rather investigate and report.
• Has ability to juggle priorities and assignments to produce both short-term and project-level work.
• Collaborates effectively with others and is adept at sharing investigative skills.
• Communicate and work effectively with other sports journalists to give a complete picture.
• Uses time effectively, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work. Consistently meets deadlines set for print and digital needs, including advance deadlines.
• Produce smartphone photos and videos and collect data and other information for maps, charts and other supplemental content. Digital skills are a growing part of this job. And needs to be comfortable in a public setting, making public appearances.
• Generates work that is balanced, fair, accurate and complete, incorporating, where appropriate, a diverse range of sources. Copy should not contain errors of fact of judgment and should not include any issue of bias.
• Engages editors on best ways to present stories on digital and print platforms.
• Have a clear understanding of libel law and able to recognize and flag potential legal issues that could expose the company to litigation over libel, invasion of privacy, copyright or other issues.
- Bachelors degree preferred
- At least three years or more of reporting experience
- Demonstrated strong news judgment
- Ability to create content to meet audience needs across print and digital platforms.
- Strong ability to organize, analyze, interpret and disseminate information.
- Flexibility in shift starting times and in work location
- Have reliable transportation, or access to reliable transportation.
- Ability to travel approximately 30% of the time.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.