Assistant News Director
- Full Time
Altice USA (NYSE: ATUS) is one of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States, delivering broadband, pay television, telephony services, proprietary content and advertising services to approximately 4.9 million Residential and Business customers across 21 states through its Optimum and Suddenlink brands.
From high-speed broadband and ultra-HD video, to digital advertising solutions, local news and voice offerings, we are making connections possible around the country -- to businesses, to consumers, to communities, to schools, to hospitals, and everyone in between.
News 12 Networks is the first, largest and most watched 24-hour local television news network in the country, with seven individual local news channels and five traffic and weather channels serving Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, Westchester, Hudson Valley, the Bronx, and Brooklyn.
News 12 Connecticut is looking for a dynamic and innovative news leader. The ideal candidate will assist in the execution of policies and vision for the channel. They will oversee daily news and weather coverage and work closely with Executive Producers on story selection and distribution. The Assistant News Director will be responsible for programming and editorial content, including, supervising, directing, scheduling and coordinating newsgathering and production of newscasts and distribution onto all digital platforms including social media. They will also be responsible for hiring, developing and supervising staff. Will supervise all phases of production/programming, including graphic elements, and technical elements in coordination with operations staff as well as news gathering, including overseeing editorial content, and managing story assignments. Will supervise special programming, including elections and town meetings. Responsible to provide coaching, training, and performance reviews for staff. Will manage costs within budget, and assists with forecasts and financial planning. Responsible to supervise hiring of newsroom personnel as required and coordinate scheduling of staff. Will troubleshoot issues that arise, work on special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor`s degree in Journalism or related fields and business and/or finance skills preferred.
• 7 years’ experience in journalism, including 5 in television and 2 in news producing, or equivalent.
• Two years’ experience as an executive producer or other newsroom manager preferred.
• Should have excellent organizational, multi-tasking, leadership, communication, motivational, and interpersonal skills.
• Should have superior news judgment, excellent coaching and training skills and strong team building skills.
• Must be able to supervise a large staff and to hire and develop excellent staff.
• Must also be able to work under pressure and have excellent knowledge of current events and history.
• Should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, as required in a newsroom environment and competency in technical side of news production across all interactive platforms.
• Must have a thorough knowledge of journalism and television news, strong problem-solving ability and the ability to manage budgets.
• Flexible hours required including nights, weekends and holidays.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet and maintain a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.