All Media Journalist II
- Full Time
Cox Media Group Ohio has one of the most advanced, multi-platform newsrooms in the country (TV, Radio, Newspapers and Digital) and is seeking an All-Media Journalist to cover police, courts and public safety issues for the Dayton Daily News as well as WHIO TV and Radio. We’re looking for a journalist who can write breaking news for digital and get breaking information into our broadcast system quickly, as well as produce watchdog stories for print and digital.
This person will cover daily court and crime stories and will investigate stories in our communities that our readers rely on us for. They will film using TV-quality camera equipment on occasion and will contribute on-air voicing for radio for major stories they are covering. They will use our branded social media accounts – including Facebook and Twitter – and will be expected to build their own social audience to help in getting visibility to their work, engagement with readers and sources. The selected candidate will work out of our Dayton newsroom.
We are one of the leading newsrooms in the country that produces local news and information on all platforms, and we’re looking for flexible, energetic, creative and digitally- oriented people to join us.
Our converged Ohio newsrooms produce three daily newspapers, the top-rated local TV news report in the country, and an award-winning news radio station that reports around the clock.Qualifications:
The ideal candidate is a digital and print journalist with a passion for telling great stories, and someone who thrives in a fast-paced work environment. Experience with broadcast TV, radio news or data-visual journalism is a plus.
- Have excellent reporting and writing skills, and the ability to write and edit quickly for digital
- Be comfortable using research to tailor stories to fit the audience for print, TV, radio and digital
- Have a demonstrated social media presence to engage audience and drive people to their work
- Be able and willing to produce photos and video for digital and broadcast
- Be familiar and comfortable with standards for avoiding libel and slander, and have a good grasp of Ohio’s public records laws
- Have the ability to work in high-energy, fast-paced environment and be committed to learning throughout their careers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field
- Three years or more of related experience
- A portfolio of work that shows good output in reporting and writing, the ability to shoot video and photos and use social media or other digital platforms, as well as a dedication to accuracy, completeness and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated interest and curiosity in what people in their local community care about.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.