Publishing Ops Technician, AJC
- Full Time
• Work with the day-to-day activities of the publishing operations staff
• Ability to work within the publishing operations group and function as an effective team
member to ensure quality, on-time delivery of advertising and editorial products to press
• Skill set tasks include: photo correction; electronic ad troubleshooting; page layout, press configuration; page trafficking; output of commercial print and direct mail materials; uploading of archival and tear sheet materials; troubleshooting page output issues, etc.
All materials reviewed, sections created allocating editorial & advertising space as needed and pages sent to the pressroom error-free. Tasks include: soft proofing pages & ads; placing filler & promo ads; kills and resends; create page variations; troubleshoot issues with products; coordination with the Newsroom, Pressroom and Advertising; page & ad trouble-shooting; completing same tasks for commercial press work for all publications.
Supports Product Planning & Ad QA Processes:
• Works with supervisor, customer, Advertising, Editorial and Production to prepare product plans in print production systems
• Creates plans and variations of plans for product editions and special publications for publication.
• Meets with Sales staff to discuss and ensure placement of display and classified advertising according to business rules and customer specifications.
• Tracks flow of products/pages from pagination system to press systems (News Cycle Systems to CMGP to ABB or Gannett Portal ) to ensure proper press configurations for color hits of specific products.
• Tracks flow of ad materials and content using CMGP system.
• Collaborates with Sales, Coordinators, and Newsroom staff to identify and resolve issues with layout processes and or ad materials.
• Works with other Pub Ops team members and management to support and implement new processes.
Internal/External customer service and Administrative/Training :
• Works with internal customers to research publication/material issues and resolve conflicts and ensure products meet customer specifications.
• Creates and distributes runsheets to indicate ad placement and Newsroom space specifications to Sales, Production and Advertising Operations management members.
• Creates and distributes “Missing Ad List”; allowing sales to track which materials are on deadline/priority.
• Works with commercial printing clients on product setups to educate them on product specifications (i.e., number of pages, color positions) and facilitate optimal efficiency for product runs.
• Participates in department training as defined by supervisor to assist with coverage, as needed. (page output, page proofing, ad proofing and ad troubleshooting)
• HS diploma or GED required.
• 2 to 5 years’ experience in prepress production area
• Graphic design skills and troubleshooting skills with design programs preferred. • Proficiency with Digital Technology International (DTI) publishing technology or comparable publishing software required.
• Experience in various Production/Publishing Software - OneVision Asura, IPS (internet proofing system), RIP (raster image processing), Arkitex (workflow) preferred.
• Photo toning and graphic preparation experience, preferred.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills
• Ability to coordinate with internal and external customers
• Can make decisions to meet deadlines and meet customer requirements
• Must be able to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays as required. This is a non-negotiable requirement.
• Strong attention to detail
• Must have high-speed internet available; and if internet service experiences an outage it is expected you would find alternate internet access
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Proficiency and experience in Adobe Creative Suite, DTI advertising systems.
• Experience with ad trafficking systems a plus
• Proficiency with Newscycle systems, PGL layout system
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.