Brand Manager, Live From Here
- Full Time
Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services 'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current' produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
Become a key team member of the weekly variety show Live From Here with Chris Thile.
Each week, Live from Here, hosted by singer/songwriter/mandolin virtuoso Chris Thile welcomes a wide range of well-known and up-and-coming talent from musicians to comedians to spoken word artists to share the stage and create a unique listening experience. Millions of listeners tune in on air, online, and in the theater, for an evening of pure entertainment.
As the Brand Manager, you will work with many functional areas including commerce, distribution, digital, underwriting, marketing, research, membership, and communications. Your role will create and execute on a strategic, integrated, audience development roadmap and be the lead for all marketing strategies to promote the program and its brand.
As the Brand Manager, your role has a dotted-line report to the director of Live From Here and will be closely integrated into the day-to-day operation of the program, as well as following best-practice marketing strategies along with the rest of the marketing & creative services team.
If you are a results-oriented person with a meaningful connection to music and music discovery and a passion for bringing others along for the ride, we'd love to talk to you.
Position Location: Brooklyn, NY
Application Deadline: July 24, 2019
Primary Responsibilities -- Marketing:
- Works on developing, and managing to, brand strategy for the program.
- Directs strategic, integrated marketing programs with the purpose of growing awareness, consumption of, and continued engagement with, Live From Here. Evaluate brand ecosystem and determine how to leverage for key audience journeys (eg: listeners, ticket buyers, etc.).
- Incorporates strategies that drive audience data. Shares insights from data and works with internal teams in encouraging data-driven decision making.
- Responsible for show marketing budget management. This includes understanding and managing the overall marketing budget as it relates to company goals.
- Liases with internal and external partners to develop media strategy and execution of all paid media.
- Develop announces, on-sales, pricing, and promotions plans for maximum event attendance for all live events.
- Develop national promotions plan with stations and distribution.
- Manages brand assets, adhering to organizational standards, across all platforms.
- Works closely with other internal teams including programming, research, business, digital, communications, membership and creative to execute on strategic and marketing plans.
- Works collaboratively with the Creative Marketing team to execute brand's visual direction and campaigns as well as prioritize workload. Responsible for ensuring brand consistency and appropriate use of identity guidelines.
- Day-to-day contact for outside marketing services including agencies, creative talent, production, media buying services, etc.
- Supervises, trains and manage direct staff through coaching, mentorship, performance meetings and on-going feedback. Oversees consultants and outside marketing resources.
- Responsible for direct reports' development and performance; leverage learning from annual employee survey and Thrive to develop and execute development plans.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in marketing, communications, or advertising; OR equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of related work experience in the marketing field.
- 5+ years of experience in media/radio.
- 3+ years of management experience.
- Experience managing successful teams.
- Experience managing in-house marketing and creative teams.
- Management experience must demonstrate an ability to create and enforce staff with high standards, demonstrating an ability to teach, inspire and lead.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Intimate understanding of traditional and emerging marketing channels.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Budget-management skills and proficiency.
- Ability to prioritize activities based on value and results.
- Analytical skills to forecast and identify trends and challenges.
- Ability to use data in decision-making.
- Experience with strategic marketing planning, tactic development and execution.
- Strong managerial skills.
- Ability to motivate employees, train and grow staff.
- Ability to perform well and remain organized under tight deadlines.
- Ability to be persistent and persuasive.
- Ability to think strategically and sell ideas.
- Ability to work in a matrixed organization where s/he is located remotely from the majority of peers and supervisors.
- A familiarity with and specific interest in music, music discovery, live events.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience managing consumer brands or in an agency or in-house agency environment.
- Experience promoting and marketing music/talent/events (programming/artists/labels/records/other).
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Travel Required: Up to 5-10% travel
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.