Director of Design
- Full Time
The Jewish Museum:
Founded in 1904 and located on New York City’s Museum Mile, the Jewish Museum is dedicated to the enjoyment, understanding, and preservation of the artistic and cultural heritage of the Jewish people. The Museum maintains a unique collection of nearly 30,000 works of art, ceremonial objects, and media reflecting the global Jewish experience over more than 4,000 years. The Museum applies a contemporary lens to its exhibitions, which range from ancient to contemporary art.
The Director of Design heads the in-house Creative Services team, which fulfills the print, digital, and environmental design for numerous departments throughout the Museum. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Marketing & Communications, the Director of Design leads the development and execution of a distinctive, innovative, and consistent visual presence for a design-forward institution. As part of a division that includes colleagues in Communications, Digital, Marketing, Shop, and Visitor Experience, the Director of Design should be a naturally collaborative partner to complement the skill sets of her/his/their colleagues.
- Maintain the Museum’s brand standards across a wide range of media and contexts, continuing to refine and refresh the Museum’s visual presence and ensure its continued relevance.
- Lead a team of designers to create audience-centric print and digital materials for the Marketing, Digital, Curatorial, Education, Development, Membership and other departments; understand the distinct audiences and messaging need of various constituencies, while maintaining visual consistency and brand guidelines across all efforts.
- Motivate and lead design staff by serving as a compassionate mentor; oversee hiring, performance review, professional development, and administration for the department.
- Regularly and proactively present the studio’s work to senior staff, acting as internal advocate of the brand able to convey the rationale for design decisions to key stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Museum Director to understand specific priorities, preferences, and desired positioning for the institution within the competitive landscape as they relate to design direction.
- Provide ad hoc design counsel to senior Museum staff as requested, including on such aspects of Museum operations as exhibition design, onsite signage, shop displays, event décor, presentations and production in various media.
- Collaborate with colleagues on visual components of marketing and communications strategy, including selection of key images, art direction of photography, and development of other assets.
- Build consensus between marketing and other key program stakeholders across the Museum.
- Understand different media platforms and their respective audiences, capabilities, and design potential in order to inform design decisions, including digital advertising, social media, web design, and environmental graphics. Experience in direct mail fundraising a plus.
- Supervise production of all deliverables, ensuring that all materials maintain the Museum’s high standards, and meet targeted budgets and timelines. Maintain a current grasp of production techniques and specifications across a wide range of media to inform production decision making.
- Partner with the Associate Director of Marketing in managing studio priorities, staff workloads, and production budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or equivalent.
- Extensive experience in graphic design especially: advertising, print collateral, motion graphics, environmental design, wayfinding, exhibition graphics, and art direction. Experience in video production a plus.
- Fluent in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and AfterEffects. Familiarity Keynote and with project management software preferred. Knowledge of SketchUp or similar program a plus.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in production across various forms of fabrication.
- Excellent verbal communication, including presentation and mediation skills.
- Experienced manager who can foster a collaborative team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills including strong ability to build consensus and foster productive working relationships
- Passion for the arts and deep understanding of the cultural landscape in NYC
- Knowledge of or interest in Jewish culture a plus
For immediate consideration send resume, cover letter and samples of your design/website portfolio to:
Associate Director, Human Resources
The Jewish Museum
1109 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
Applicants must submit samples of their design/website portfolio to be considered for this position.
The Jewish Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from all backgrounds