Staff Writer/Assistant Editor
- Full Time
TITLE: Staff Writer/Assistant Editor
DEPARTMENT: Development and University Relations, Lincoln Center Campus
This is a joint position reporting to the director of communications/editor of Fordham News and the senior editorial director.
· Edit, copy edit, proofread, help conceive, and write copy for a wide variety of University marketing projects, including event notices/invitations, e-newsletters, print and digital ad campaigns, enrollment materials, and web copy.
· Report, write, photograph, and record video of news and events at Fordham's campuses for the Fordham News website and newsletter, social media platforms, and the alumni magazine.
· Cultivate relationships with faculty members, administrators, and student groups.
· Develop a working knowledge of the various academic departments and centers.
· Help cover news beats within the University.
· Identify potential Fordham News and alumni magazine story ideas.
· Participate in crisis communications and publicity efforts.
Evening and some weekend work is required, as University events sometimes take place outside normal work hours.
The position is based at Fordham’s Lincoln Center campus in midtown Manhattan but requires frequent intercampus travel.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications
- Minimum two years’ experience in reporting and writing for publications
- Strong writing skills
- A working knowledge of Associated Press style
- Commitment to accuracy
- Ability to meet deadlines
- An ear for language
- Good copy-editing skills
- Good judgment and good news judgment
- Familiarity with SLR cameras and digital video recorders is a plus
- Familiarity with social media and knowledge of SEO
- Familiarity with issues in higher education is a plus
Send cover letter, resume, and five best clips. No candidate will be considered without clips.
Fordham University is committed to excellence through diversity and welcomes candidates of all backgrounds. Fordham is an equal opportunity employer–veterans/disabled and other protected categories.