- Full Time
The Communications Specialist helps raise the public profile of Oceana, the largest international organization dedicated to ocean conservation, through marketing and communications efforts and writing. These efforts aim to achieve specific press hits that will increase awareness of and support for the organization.
The position shares press goals with and reports to Oceana’s International Communications Manager, and helps secure press for Oceana's international brand, development events, executive committee, board of directors, celebrity supporters, Oceana's Save the Oceans Feed the World initiative, and other ocean topics in the press. The position is also responsible for writing op-eds, CEO blog posts and video scripts as needed. The position tracks and reports on Oceana’s media hits as part of a larger effort to monitor progress in increasing public awareness of Oceana and raising its profile among key audiences.
In addition, the position plays a key role in working with communications managers and directors in Oceana’s international offices, selectively cross-promoting stories and updates to help Oceana achieve its press and campaign goals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the International Communications Manager in achieving press for Oceana staff and allies including Oceana’s CEO, science advisors, board members, and other members of leadership
- Meet specific goals for Oceana’s organizational press placements including for daily, radio, magazine, online, and television outlets; track and report on these media hits
- Develop relationships with top international, national, regional, and local reporters
- Build, manage, and maintain media lists for the organization
- Manage placement of Oceana’s print, TV, and radio Public Service Announcements
- Draft press releases, talking points, and memos for organizational press
- Draft op-eds, CEO blog posts, video scripts.
Internal Communications and Collaboration
- Keep key audiences informed of Oceana’s recent victories and media coverage through the production of a biweekly media report
- Manage standardization of media reporting (tools and templates) across international offices
- To demonstrate Oceana’s effectiveness to key donors and supporters, selectively promote Oceana victories and campaigns from (and in coordination with) country offices to U.S. media outlets.
- Assist with production process for international board book media reports for each country office and offer edits/revisions to draft reports
- Produce daily morning media report surveying Oceana’s global media hits for all offices and distribute report to all Oceana employees
- Collaborate with other department groups to further shared goals and objectives.
- Manage relationships and contract processes with various media vendors
- Maintain press releases, press contacts, Oceana in the news, and other features on the international Oceana website
Education and work experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field and at least 2 years of experience in a media relations or internal communications environment, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Skilled writer with experience in drafting opinion pieces, press releases, video scripts and more
- Ability to understand and make compelling complicated issue and policy concepts
- Experience working with reporters and drafting media relations materials (pitches, press releases, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Computer literacy is required, including a working knowledge of MS Office applications needed, especially MS Word and MS Excel. Experience with Photoshop and Adobe InDesign is helpful.
- Ability to take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities of position to accomplish Oceana’s goals.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus but not required.
TO APPLY: Please attached your resume, cover letter and one writing sample.
“Oceana values a diverse workforce and welcomes people different from each other in many ways, including characteristics such as race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and national origin. Oceana considers all qualified candidates and seeks to recruit from a diverse candidate pool.”