VP Marketing and Communications
- Full Time
PL+US: Paid Leave for the US is hiring a Vice President of Marketing and Communications to help lead our groundbreaking work to win paid family leave for everyone in the U.S. by 2022. The person in this role will craft and drive the transformational and intersectional national public engagement campaign that builds the power to win.
In just three short years, PL+US has won family leave for nearly 6 million people and tripled in size. We’ve won change at some of the top employers in the country, including Walmart and Starbucks, and we’re taking that momentum into the fight to win national public policy. Paid leave is poised to take off as the next high-profile national issue. The VP of Marketing and Communications will play a critical, timely, and game-changing role in making that happen.
The individual in this role will have the opportunity to weave deeply personal and powerful individual stories together with influential political and legislative moments, top-tier business and entertainment leaders, and today’s major social movements to create not only the environment in which bold, comprehensive paid leave policy can win, but one that transforms the political landscape for family-supporting policy in America.
The ideal candidate for this role is a seasoned leader with a proven track record of designing and running transformational public narrative campaigns that achieve high impact, especially with our three most important constituencies: women, communities of color, and millennials. As a member of PL+US’ leadership team, reporting to the Executive Director, you will play a pivotal role in both the campaign and the leadership of the organization.
Strategy and Thought Leadership
- Develop overarching marketing and communications strategy in collaboration with the PL+US leadership team including: brand, storytelling and messaging, social media, paid and earned media, and events.
- Spearhead a comprehensive influencer engagement program
- Build our thought leadership on paid family leave to a broad base of stakeholders
Message Development and Execution
- Oversee our Communications Director in developing the communications campaigns that break through to our target audiences including editorial design and media relations
- Oversee the development of visual assets, brand guidelines, and style guide for PL+US and its campaigns.
- Communicate our mission, raise awareness, and draw supporters for a federal policy win in 2022.
- Develop content strategy and oversee the creation of content for the organization's online presence in collaboration with our digital team
Management and Team Building
- As the inaugural leader of a new team, you’ll have the opportunity to work with our current staff and build out the team in the coming year to shape a high-impact marketing and communications program.
- Equally comfortable managing staff / consultants and diving in to drive execution yourself.
- Ensure partnerships with brands and influencers are integrated to amplify PL+US’ reach.
Measurement and Analytics
- Create and maintain a marketing measurement system to allow the organization to track progress towards their goals with regular reporting and evaluation.
- Assist the Executive Director with reporting on impact for multiple stakeholders including the board and current or potential funders.
Skills and Experience (a qualified candidate will have most of these)
- 10+ years of progressive experience leading marketing and communications teams;
- Proven ability in developing brands and executable marketing plans;
- Issue advocacy or social cause marketing campaign experience. (Communications or marketing experience in politics (e.g. on a campaign, with a political party), policy (e.g. at a think tank or policy-driven nonprofit), or in government might also work here);
- Successful consumer brand partnerships and/or influencer engagement;
- Skilled with modern and traditional marketing channels;
- A good eye for broadly appealing public-facing design and ability to communicate effectively with design and other creative professionals;
- Ability to communicate the impact of marketing and communications efforts with data;
- Experience working cross-functionally with other teams;
- Comfortable playing a player-coach role; you’ll need to inspire your team and be comfortable diving in to execute on the plan too;
- Excellent project manager who can keep a team on track while juggling multiple priorities;
- Skilled writer who can craft content for a variety of mediums and audiences with ease;
- Technology: Fluent user of google docs, slack, excel, and presentation software like keynote or powerpoint.
People who are successful at PL+US also share the following traits:
- A deep commitment to equity and inclusion and experience working in diverse teams.
- Kind, to others and to yourself. We’re building a team that’s smart, fun, fast, supportive, passionate, and collaborative.That starts with people who are truly delighted and challenged by the work, and know how to bring their best selves to it every day.
- A roll-up-your sleeves doer. You see a problem, arrive at a solution quickly, and know what it takes to get things done.
- Passionate about winning paid family leave for everyone in the U.S.
Top 5 Reasons to Work at PL+US
- You Want to Win. This is an opportunity to be part of a big, bold victory at a national scale. It’s hard work with an end date. We want to work ourselves out of a job by achieving a huge win that transforms this country.
- You Want to Learn. From our senior leadership on down, we’re constantly improving our craft and getting better at what we do. We want our staff to walk out of PL+US ten times more effective than when they walked in.
- You Care. Maybe you have kids yourself, or aging parents, or maybe you just believe paid family leave will make the world a better place. Whatever your reason, our mission speaks to you, and you’re yearning for a workplace filled with people who put impact first.
- We Care. PL+US takes care of its staff. Not just with good pay and benefits, but with the understanding that you are a whole person whose life experiences and family responsibilities are a part of what makes you great at what you do. Remote, flexible, outcomes-focused work is part of our DNA.
- You Want a Team. Not just a group of people who work together. You want a team -- co-workers who support each other. We’re high-impact and low-ego. As a PL+US team member you’ll work hard, learn every day, laugh and connect with your team as you grow together, and be respected for the whole, real person you are.
Some of the Benefits of Working for PL+US
- Awesome team of high impact, low ego people who are in it to win.
- Flexible work schedule. If you need to leave early to pick up your kid from school, that’s cool.
- Up to 6 months of paid family leave, as well as health, dental, and vision insurance (up to $650/month).
- Professional development coaching.
- Generous time off. Unlimited vacation, 12 paid holidays, and we all take the week between Christmas and New Years off.
- Retirement accounts. We offer a 401(k) since we want you to retire one day.
- Commuter benefits program, medical and dependent care FSA program, and employer-paid life and disability insurance.
This is a full time position that can be based anywhere in the U.S. with a major airport that has direct flights to San Francisco, D.C., and New York City. The VP Marketing and Comms reports to the Executive Director.
To Apply: Please submit your resume via Recruiterbox, and, in lieu of a cover letter, please respond to the three application questions listed there.
PL+US is deeply committed to diversity. We strongly encourage people of color, first-generation Americans, people with caregiving responsibilities, people with disabilities, and members of the queer community to apply.
PL+US is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don't discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.