The Portfolio and Sentinel imprints are seeking an Art Director to direct, design, and produce nonfiction titles. This position oversees an in-house design team, manages freelance designers, designs covers, and coordinates budgets and schedules.
The Portfolio imprint covers a wide-range of interests, including: technology, economics, entrepreneurship, biography, investigative journalism, with a focus on educating and inspiring a new generation of innovative leaders, while the Sentinel imprint publishes right-of-center books on subjects like politics, history, public policy, culture, religion, and international relations.
Specifically, the Art Director:
* Directs, researches, and manages the creation of graphics, layouts and art production for book jackets and covers.
* Plans and art directs photoshoots for book jackets, including hiring photographers and working with in-house design staff to do image editing and cover design.
* Works directly with the publisher, head of marketing and publicity, authors and various departments in creating cover content.
* Runs cover design meetings to present to publisher, editors and in-house team. Gives presentations to authors, as needed.
* Manages art and photography freelancers, illustrators, and designers for titles.
* Oversees and monitors project budgets.
* Oversees and mentors staff.
* Works closely with managing editorial, marketing and production departments to meet monthly production and copy deadlines.
Please apply if you meet the following qualifications:
* Minimum 5 years prior book cover design experience
* Broad knowledge of typography, printing, prepress file/art management and production
* Highly creative
* Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Ability to juggle multiple projects while adhering to tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
* Proficiency with Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesignPenguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.