- Full Time
Skyhorse Publishing, one of the fastest growing independent publishers in America, is seeking an enthusiastic and team-oriented candidate to work in our production department in our midtown Manhattan office.
The position encompasses a wide range of responsibilities working on interiors for books in both hardcover and trade paperback. This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate passionate about the creation of the book interior process, who can adapt quickly and deliver solutions that meet high creative standards. We offer competitive compensation including health, dental, and vision benefit plans.
As a Production Assistant, the candidate will be responsible for a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- Entering corrections into InDesign
- Tagging manuscripts for typesetting
- Flowing tagged manuscripts into InDesign
- Traffic proofs between editors and freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, typesetters, and indexers
- Review passes that come back from typesetters and coordinate with editors to make text corrections
- Perform pre-press and quality checks on application files prior to uploading final files to printers
- Design photo inserts and advertisements, as needed
- Work closely with the art, production, and editorial departments to monitor projects and ensure deadlines are met
- Handle rush in-house re-indexing jobs for production editors
Required Skills and Experience:
- 4-year degree or equivalent
- Proficiency using InDesign and Photoshop
- Familiarity with interior book design, from text-driven to full-color, design-heavy layouts; prior internships/experience in the publishing industry preferred
- Detail-oriented with the ability to focus, prioritize, and manage multiple projects at once in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Positive attitude/team player; flexibility and willingness to learn on the go
- Familiarity with CMS a plus
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, position applying for and salary requirements. Applications missing salary requirements will not be considered.