Director of Publicity
- Full Time
Education changes lives forever. It broadens horizons, breaks down barriers, and fires imaginations. Like the University of Oxford of which we are a part, we are committed to uncompromising standards, freedom of expression, and the enrichment of lives through education. This is our motivation, our purpose, and our mission. It is why 100% of the money we make is reinvested into education and research. It is why all 6,000 of us in 52 countries care deeply about reaching more people, in more places, with world-class learning and research materials and services.
The Publicity Director develops and implements Oxford University Press (OUP) Academic Division’s creative, strategic, multi-tiered publicity & media. Managing a team of talented and experienced publicists worldwide, this role is critical in building OUP’s brands globally. The ideal candidate has excellent media relationships, a record of accomplishment in garnering media attention, and is a strong people manager. While a portion of this role is about “traditional book publicity,” OUP in an innovative digital company who is seeking a Publicity Director with experience in digital products and collaborating on major brand campaigns.
- Develops the overall publicity strategy and manages execution for publicity campaigns in the following areas:
- Seasonal trade catalog titles – maximize exposure for authors and their books
- Key brand campaigns around our dictionaries and language program – grow OUP’s brand as a language powerhouse
- Major product launches and other divisional PR initiatives – build brand awareness and customer engagement
- News coverage for our Journals portfolio – raise profile and engagement with our journals content
- Author event strategy
- Fosters and maintains substantive relationships with key broadcast, print, and digital media. Proactively seeks and develops new media relationships to grow OUP coverage.
- Develop and implement metrics that articulate divisional goals and measure success.
- Manages a global team of 15 in the US, UK, and Asia.
- Develops and nurtures talent
- Sets departmental procedures and policies
- Proactively seeks process improvement and efficiency opportunities
- Act as a consultant to media best practices within the Division
- Partner on key corporate communication initiatives
- Responsible for Divisional media response plan / Divisional lead on crisis communications
- Handle major media interest that comes in over the transom from other Marketing activity
- Partners with Broader Marketing team in the following areas:
- Ensure media is part of our campaign plans and all connections are maximized
- Contribute to profiling of titles and providing feedback to Editorial
- Ensure Trade Marketing plans are integrated across Marketing and Publicity
- Suggest authors for OUP Academic Blog
- Develop author media competence. Brief authors on how to handle interviews; develop media contacts; accompany authors on interviews as needed.
- At least 10 years of hands-on publicity experience, with increasing levels of responsibility for campaign management and strategy.
GJC Level: M7 (for internal purposes only)
We are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring an inclusive environment where all individuals can thrive. We seek to employ a workforce representative of the markets that we serve and encourage applications from all.