Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job Title: Team Manager (Chemistry), Nature Communications
Location: London, Berlin, New York or Shanghai
Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications.
Nature Communications is the leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we’re seeking a Team Manager to manage a chemistry editorial team for the journal.
The Team Manager role at Nature Communications is a demanding and intellectually stimulating position that has responsibility for determining the growth and future direction of the journal within a specific subject area.
The responsibilities include:
- Managing a team of 4-8 editors; overseeing their day-to day workload and ensuring manuscripts are handled in accordance with journal policies.
- Determining the representation of the chemistry content published in the journal; ensuring growth in both quality and quantity.
- Handling original research papers, and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review.
- Making well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice.
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with experts in the international scientific community.
- Attending conferences and visiting research institutions.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- Editorial experience, with demonstrated knowledge of processes and ethics in academic publishing.
- A PhD (or equivalent) in chemistry.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research across the chemical sciences.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
- This role is located in either our London, New York or Shanghai office. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis.
Applicants should include a resume, a covering letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment.
Closing date: 5th August 2019 (candidates will be considered as they apply)
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media