- Full Time
The Motley Fool’s mission is “To make the world smarter, happier, and richer." For 25 years that has meant providing impartial and informed investment recommendations that aimed to cut through the noise and jargon and help everyday individuals make the best decisions possible.
Ever the insatiable Fools that we are, our coverage is expanding beyond investments, as we seek to empower entrepreneurs and business people with the knowledge, tools, and confidence needed to build and expand their businesses. Our new software and business-focused website is called The Blueprint, and we’d like your help as we continue to grow!
Our team is looking to hire The Blueprint’s first strategic Editorial Lead to own all elements of The Blueprint’s editorial strategy. This includes creating, updating and maintaining our sanctuary of trusted and vetted content amidst a world wide web that is plagued with a lot of noise. You will help create and manage an editorial startup, publishing content across a range of entrepreneurial business topics while optimizing for organic search and on-site engagement.
To be successful in this role, you must be highly innovative, versatile, and comfortable driving content and editorial strategy from conception through execution in a fast-paced environment. While the Editorial Lead role is well-defined, we are looking for someone with experience in (or a strong interest to join) a startup environment where working together seamlessly and cross-functionally delivers the best outcomes. Our team is nimble and highly responsive to the needs of this burgeoning business, and we are excited to add another ambitious, ego-free, and solution-oriented member to our ranks!
The Motley Fool Headquarters is located in Alexandria, Virginia. For the right candidate, we are open to remote workers in various locations including Alexandria, VA; Lakewood, Colorado; and Philadelphia, PA.
- Work with SEO and team leads to create a content strategy: defining relevant topics and then sourcing the writing to topic experts that could include freelancers, current contract writers, and/or internal Fools.
- Use member feedback, data/analytics, user reviews, and metrics to analyze content effectiveness and to help aid future engagement strategies.
- Create a monthly editorial calendar and create/manage the process that will source, edit, organize, and publish the content (potentially in multiple channels).
- Develop an expertise in many areas of business and entrepreneurship. You should help our content ‘level-up’ by thoughtfully improving how it is expressed to members. Whether it’s presenting our message in text, audio, video, infographic, or something else entirely, our content’s expression will be for you to determine. You are a strategic voice in the team.
- While you’ll have a lot of flexibility to pursue strategies based on instinct, we expect you to be well versed in Google Analytics and other home-built dashboards to hone your operations. Publishing decisions should be strategic and data-driven.
- You must be able to effectively search for SEO terms worth covering, get comfortable with optimizing for conversions, understand how to spot an opportunity (or know when to walk away from one) based on what the data is telling you.
- Establish relationships and/or explore opportunities to partner, collaborate, or leverage content from other respected brands (Forbes, Knowledge@Wharton, Inc., TechCrunch, etc).
- Everything else: launch social media channels, expand verticals, explore new channels, hire new writers, assist with email marketing.
- Proven track record of successfully leading an editorial calendar and strategy: owning content creation and performance and adjusting tactics to meet objectives and budgets.
- A passion for metrics, ability to turn analysis into actionable programs, and ability to use data to optimize day-to-day performance.
- Experience managing projects on a large scale, with the ability to consider multiple stakeholders (both internal and external).
- Incredibly organized and process-driven; self-starter, flexible, driven.
- Avid learner and passionate student of all things business / entrepreneur.
- Experience managing an editorial budget and a team of well-respected experts, leaders, and content creators.
- Can communicate, both verbally and in writing, with both speed and effectiveness.
- Undergraduate degree in finance, economics, journalism, or a related field. Substantive experience can be substituted.
- Experience using inbound marketing solutions, CMS, analytical tools, automation tools, etc (Marketo, Hubspot, WordPress, Google Analytics, Tableau, etc).
- Continuing personal education in business - tangible evidence of passion for entrepreneurship and/or studying great companies.
- Bonus: Knowledge of / experience with site publishing, site design, social media strategy, paid marketing campaigns, SEO.
- Bonus: Love of persuasive marketing and/or investing.