Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
We are seeking a brilliant, fast and savvy science editor to help grow and develop our custom media business in North and South America. Springer Nature is one of the largest and most prominent scientific publishing companies in the world. Titles include Nature and Scientific American, among others. The custom media group works with partners to create high-quality, commercially successful print, digital, multimedia and live event content for different audiences and titles. We are editors, writers, videographers, designers, photographers, web developers and social media engineers united by a love of science and solving problems.
The job of the custom media editor is to conceive, create, manage and deliver all custom projects in North and South America. This is a challenging and complex role. It requires a proven background in science journalism, a high level of creativity, collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, and an enthusiasm for entrepreneurship and business development.
The role also represents a rare opportunity to join a global team in a growing segment of Springer Nature. If you love science and technology; if you’re a mastermind at telling stories in print, web, multimedia and live events; and if you want to build something commercially successful, join our global team now.
- Lead on the delivery of custom media in Nature, Scientific American and other Springer Nature publications, and off-platform, with the ultimate goal of driving sales and revenue.
- Plan, resource, edit and produce high-quality custom projects as required, working with global colleagues within the custom media team.
- Manage a roster of freelance science writers, editors, designers and interactive designers to see projects through to client satisfaction.
- Work with the custom creative director, our production team and external vendors to develop new methods/approaches to tell science stories on our existing platforms (print, web, video, podcast, social and events) and new ones (VR/AR/TBD).
- Collaborate with sales colleagues to discuss client needs and propose new commercial editorial projects, including articulating editorial vision and providing realistic resourcing and cost estimates.
- Work with publishing/project managers to set and maintain workflows and deadlines for effective, efficient and budget-minded delivery of custom projects.
- Collaborate with partners to develop content solutions that will fulfill their needs, outperform expectations and drive business renewal year after year.
- Work with the audience insights team to review and assess analytics and use them as a guide for campaign management and editorial planning.
- Contribute actively to global team discussions and idea-generation.
- Consult legal team as necessary over sensitive stories.
- At least 5 years working in science journalism as an assigning editor, with a proven track record of success.
- Sound scientific background with at least a bachelor’s degree in science or related discipline.
- Strong editing skills and a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Comfort with, and ideally experience in, a commercial publishing setting.
- Familiarity with custom publishing and branded/sponsored content.
- Ability to deliver projects that serve Nature Research readers and meet client goals.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with writers, subeditors/copy editors, and art.
- Background in digital publishing, including editing for the web, social media, the use and understanding of analytics, the production of online video and other multimedia communications.
- Familiarity with legal and journalistic ethical principles such as conflict of interest.
- Experience working in a client-facing role
- Strategic and business acumen, particularly in regard to developing a business
- An enthusiasm for entrepreneurship
- Background in coding, web development and multimedia
How to apply:
Be sure to include a cover letter, resume and links to at least five editorial projects in which you played a substantial editorial role. Please describe that role clearly (e.g. – editor, editorial director, managing editor, senior editor, associate, etc).
Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the country they wish to work in. The level of appointment will be commensurate with experience.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.