Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Associate Editor, Journals
The Springer Nature Journals group aims to support researchers in communicating and advancing discovery for a better world. We do this by providing a trusted environment in which researchers can quickly, easily and transparently share their discoveries, data and research stories. The Associate Editor, Journals, is responsible for the growth, development and editorial management of a portfolio of journals with the aim of becoming market leader within selected disciplines and geographies. The Associate Editor operates under the daily mentorship of the Executive Editor or Senior Editor.
1. Drive the editorial and publishing development of a portfolio of journals
- Drive the growth and development of a group of journals as part of the strategically defined overall portfolio within the Journals group.
- Develop your journals to deliver a best-in-class author experience and enjoy maximum engagement from the Editors in Chief and Editorial Board Members (EBMs) on whom we rely.
- Understand and manage the annual targets for journal submission, publication and transfer volumes as well as target turnaround times.
- Ensure that all KPIs are regularly monitored, reported and met, and that action is taken as needed.
- Strive for maximal efficiency and productivity of your editors, peer-reviewers and EBMs and manage/streamline the peer-review process for your journals.
- Develop strong working relationships with colleagues in production, JEO, IT and other departments to ensure that any problems encountered with your journal, and particularly by authors, editors and peer reviewers, can be swiftly and effectively resolved
- Manage annual Journal Development/Improvement Plans and oversee their implementation and successful conclusion
2. Understand and engage regularly with the research communities and third-party partners that your journals serve
- Attend external meetings to build close working relationships with external EiCs, EBMs, society partners and the wider research community
- Understand the trends and changes in the communities you serve to ensure that Springer Nature can respond with increased publishing volumes and/or new editors/EBMs
- Become recognized as an outstanding publishing expert by the members of the relevant research communities
- Develop and maintain relationships with a network of researchers
Be aware of changes within the research community and publishing industry, and translate these into proposals for successful (new) products and services including the possible a1
4. Other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent English language skills
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, preferably in a relevant field of study
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be numerate and IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
- Be capable of working with demanding stakeholders
- Be capable of organizing and prioritizing numerous tasks
- Be able to work on your own initiative and independently within a (virtual) team environment
- Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
- Have excellent team-working skills to deal with people at all levels
- Have excellent networking skills
- Be willing to travel
- Demonstrate diplomacy and assertiveness
- Previous experience in academic publishing
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.