Mire Media LLC is an emerging U.S.-based information services company focused on delivering remarkable, knowledge-building experiences to consumers. We are looking for ambitious freelance journalists with records of thoroughness and objectivity to support our new, online outlet for hard-news reporting.
Launching in August 2019, this information service will equip consumers to make better-informed choices by reporting stories that other media outlets neglect. It will distinguish itself by focusing on solid facts without bias or commentary.
An optimal candidate will be:
- An excellent communicator: In addition to being a talented writer with a penchant for grammar and punctuation, you have strong speaking skills and a professional demeanor. You enjoy sharing ideas, collaborating with others, and giving, receiving, and incorporating feedback. You can communicate comfortably and objectively with audiences of diverse backgrounds, have a supportive professional network, and recognize the value and limits of social media in informing the public.
- A skilled researcher: You want to use your inquisitive nature to empower others, and you accept that there are more than two sides to every story. You make the effort necessary to understand the big picture before digging into details. You are resourceful and have impeccable investigational skills, including the ability to navigate away from research holes in the interest of time and efficiency.
- Ambitious and self-motivated: You follow current events, politics, and policy out of your own interest. You have spirit and drive, including exceptional planning and organizational skills. You are passionate about your work and serious about your career. When presented a project, you work to enhance the concept, exceed expectations, and deliver your work product ahead of time.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial: The idea of coming in on the ground floor of a new publication gets you excited about the possibilities. You know that, by supporting the growth of this publication, you have a chance to make a difference in the world and build a bright future for yourself.
- Follow the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics
- Investigate and report hard facts without prejudice or persuasion
- Work in close collaboration with editors and graphic designers
- Present complex content in clear, easy-to-understand ways
- Produce precise and polished copy
- Build our audiences through social media promotion
- Work autonomously and remotely
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university
- Experience in journalism with a portfolio of published work
- Photography skills are a bonus
- Competitive pay
- Freedom and autonomy
- Fast-paced environment with no bureaucracy
If you are interested in working with us, please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Journalist” in the subject line:
- Your resume
- Your social media handles
- A link to at least one previously published news story showing the quality of your work
- Your proposal for compensation