- Full Time
The Managing Editor oversees the daily editorial operations of a monthly newsmagazine for a leading medical specialty society. The candidate must have strong management experience in all editorial functions for both print and digital media.
These responsibilities include creating an annual editorial calendar; assigning stories to freelance medical writers, overseeing an editorial budget; manuscript writing and editing; familiarity with production matters, including overseeing the print publication from text to electronic file conversion, layout and design, and final PDFs, as well as developing digital media and a presence on social media channels.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor of medical society to generate ideas for stories and an editorial calendar for features and departments for each issue.
- Research, write, and edit stories and columns, ensuring accuracy, appropriateness of tone, and good journalistic style.
- Provide copyediting, proofreading, and fact-checking functions.
- Obtain and/or commission all photographs, illustrations, and art to accompany feature articles and regular departments, working closely with the art director and illustrator to develop and oversee design ideas for each issue.
- Oversee print production from manuscript through design layout, and proofreading, as well as obtaining approval from medical society Editor.
- Oversee digital production from manuscript through website and digital editions.
- Oversee and develop a strong presence for the publication through social media.
- Maintain literacy in field of medical specialty, reviewing all current medical literature and monitoring trends and advances from scientific meetings and journals.
- Oversee the development and placement of original editorial content on the publication website.
- Oversee development and placement of rich media -- videos and podcasts -- for website.
- Develop ideas for ancillary projects to expand editorial and revenue opportunities.
- Attend all department, company, and sales meetings as directed, as well as related professional conferences necessary to the job.
- Provide editorial and marketing support and act as the liaison with advertising sales as needed for the newsmagazine.
- Other duties as required.
Education: BA English/Journalism preferred, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a publishing environment, 8 years preferred.
- Hootsuite, or a similar program
- Experience with Social Media channels including LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook
- MS Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Medical Society publishing experience strongly preferred.
Travel: 10 – 15%, including 3-5 conferences per year
About Wolters Kluwer
Wolters Kluwer N.V. (AEX: WKL) is a global leader in information services and solutions for professionals in the health, tax and accounting, risk and compliance, finance and legal sectors. We help our customers make critical decisions every day by providing expert solutions that combine deep domain knowledge with specialized technology and services.
Wolters Kluwer reported 2018 annual revenues of €4.3 billion. The company, headquartered in Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands, serves customers in over 180 countries, maintains operations in over 40 countries and employs 19,000 people worldwide.
Wolters Kluwer shares are listed on Euronext Amsterdam (WKL) and are included in the AEX and Euronext 100 indices. For more information about our solutions and organization, visit www.wolterskluwer.com, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Wolters Kluwer U. S. Corporation and all of its subsidiaries, divisions and customer/business units is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
For any assistance with your application for this job opening, please call the HR Source at (888) 495-4772 or email HRSource@WoltersKluwer.com. TTY is also available at 888 (4985) 4771.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities and requirements.