Rolling Stone: News Editor
- Full Time
Rolling Stone: News Editor
Rolling Stone is looking for a News Editor to oversee story creation covering the breadth of music news — everything from tour announcements and album releases to breaking news and world events — as well as pop culture, entertainment and other areas. We’re looking for an editor who is also a writer, who has a laser-focused attention to detail who’s deadline-oriented and can create content start-to-finish in our CMS.
We want to hear from you if this sounds like your dream job!
The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of both core RS areas (think rock & roll legends) and emerging talent that are breaking big, as well as curiosity and interest in keeping up with the latest trending topics, Twitter battles and hip-hop beefs. Relationships with key PR reps in the music and entertainment industry are a plus but will also be developed and strengthened. Not only will you be overseeing a team of staff reporters and skilled freelancers, but you will also want to write and produce stories that you feel passionate about — or when a celebrity dies at 3 a.m. and all hands are on deck. This person manages our awards show coverage throughout the year and is urged to find operational efficiencies and other strategic ways of building a robust newsroom.
- Manage a team of five or more staff writers and freelancers
- Assign stories, edit, produce and publish in our CMS
- Work closely with News Director, Digital Director and Music Editor to prioritize a mixture of daily and weekly assignments that cover the waterfront of music, culture and entertainment
- Develop relationships with PR reps and other sources in the industry
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience in digital media
- The ability to work independently, extremely detail oriented and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Successful and current relationships with key PR people and industry sources
- An understanding of and interest in the latest music happenings in both the U.S. and globally
- Daily experience working within a CMS
- Proficiency with text and image editing software
- Ability to create and manage freelance budgets and finance software (Salesforce)
About Rolling Stone:
Rolling Stone, the number one brand in music publishing, has been the leading voice of music and popular culture for 50 years. The multi-media brand features the latest in music reviews, in-depth interviews, hard-hitting political commentary and award-winning journalism across many platforms including magazine, digital, mobile, social and event marketing. Rolling Stone provides “all the news that fits” to a global audience of approximately 60 million people every month and publishes over 100 pieces of content every day. Rolling Stone’s parent company, Penske Media Corporation (PMC), is a leading digital media company, publishing, and information Services Company founded in 2003.
Penske Media Corporation (PMC) is a leading digital media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a monthly audience of more than 180 million and empowers more than 1 million global CEOs and business thought-leaders in markets that impact the world. Our dynamic events, data services, and rich content entertain and educate today’s fashion, retail, beauty, entertainment and lifestyle sectors. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 11 countries worldwide, Penske Media is the way global influencers are informed, connected, and inspired. To learn more about PMC and its iconic brands, visit www.pmc.com.