- Full Time
Observer is looking for an experienced Entertainment Editor who will oversee our team of staff writers and contributors covering film, television, books and celebrity news.
The ideal candidate is one with extensive newsroom experience, as well as a roster of contributors, sources, and other connections in the entertainment industry. Strong organization skills are key: this person will be responsible for publishing daily news posts, columns, and other features while securing scoops and breaking stories in a fast-paced environment.
The editor will extend Observer’s reach in entertainment coverage through quality reporting, commentary, interviews, and profiles of power players. They will be expected to heavily influence conversations around the entertainment industry and develop our coverage areas. This is the ideal job for someone who deeply enjoys growing talent and building something lasting.
- Manage writers, both in-house and freelance, to publish timely content covering film, television, books and celebrity news.
- Work with Editorial Director to set overall content and audience strategy for the coverage area
- Develop editorial coverage of power players impacting the evolving media & entertainment industry landscape
- Grow and engage Observer's expert contributor model, recruiting thought leaders with deep content expertise
- Understand what’s coming up next, and even more crucially, what’s most important to cover and why, within the entertainment space
- Lead team towards legitimately unique angles that readers haven’t seen before
- Contribute to the construction of the yearly editorial calendar
- Pitch ideas for events, power lists, and other features that elevate Observer’s presence in the entertainment space
- Work with team to develop concepts for ongoing series
- Package stories for success with fantastic headlines, art, formatting, and more
- 5+ years experience as an editor in digital and/or traditional media
- A knowledge or background covering the industry side of media & entertainment is preferred
- A passion for film, TV, books, and the entertainment industry
- A deep understanding of SEO and audience engagement strategies
- Working knowledge of Wordpress or another CMS
- A network of industry contacts and sources for sought-after coverage
- A roster of potential writers and expert contributors
- The ability to find unique angles on trending stories
To Apply: Email your resume, cover letter, and five writing samples (links are fine) to firstname.lastname@example.org and write "Entertainment Editor" in the subject line.