General Sales Manager
- Full Time
Under the direction of the Director of Sales (DOS), the General Sales Manager (GSM) will work on managing the sales strategies of a multiple media portfolio. Leading a team of sales managers and account executives, the GSM will create a culture of cross-platform selling including our (6) Radio Stations and robust digital products including new evolving platforms. The GSM will facilitate strategies on employee recruitment and development, delivering for clients and consistently achieve on revenue expectations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include the following. Other duties may be assigned.)
- This position requires an innovative sales leader with a demonstrated ability to find creative solutions that meet the demands of advertisers. This role also requires the ability to define and build an organizational structure to support the defined sales and revenue objectives
- As part of managing overall performance, the GSM will work with the Sales Managers to develop motivational methods of achieving revenue goals through developing the team.
- Analyzing National and Local economic conditions to forecast the short- and long-term station revenue goals.
- Establishes the rate structure for the station to achieve the revenue goals as forecast. Oversee sales managers optimization of inventory management for revenue maximization of spot time sales and sets product and program rates/packaging accordingly.
- Lead on employee recruitment and building a strong talent bank for the team.
- Oversee sales managers optimization of inventory management for revenue maximization of spot time sales and sets product and program rates/packaging accordingly.
- Communicates inventory, sales and packaging strategies to sales managers.
- Collaborate with sales leadership and digital team members to develop best practices and actionable digital revenue plans/targets.
- Maximize sports sales strategy between stations and clients.
- Lead and utilize consumer research to develop innovative advertiser initiatives.
- Develops and implements sales processes to provide for smooth and timely workflow throughout the sales process including traffic, production, promotions, accounting and programming.
- Identifies and eliminates barriers to the sales process between account manager and client.
- Facilitates and builds positive collaborative relationships between the Sales Departments and foster collaboration within the organization.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years media sales management experience – preferably in Radio sales- as either a General, Local, and/or National Sales Manager.
- Minimum of seven (7) years media sales experience.
- Strong Sales leadership, teamwork, and project management
- Strong selling skills for television or radio mediums and in sales negotiation.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills-required.
- Strong verbal, writing, mathematical, reading and analytical skills.
- Strong ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and commissions.
- Knowledge of Excel, Windows and media software such as Wide Orbit, and Marketron.
- Good understanding of radio programming, production, delivery and research.
- General business experience and knowledge of related advertising businesses.
- General knowledge of technical aspects of radio
- Willingness and ability to join organizations to enhance the image and recognition of Cox Media in the marketplace.
- Experience in driving regional and national business.
- Must have proven history of creativity and flexibility with a positive attitude.
- Must be able to get along and collaborate with others is an essential function of the job
- Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.