Digital Content Editor
- Full Time
The Digital Content Editor develops and manages content for all of Busted Halo and Amendo’s digital channels, including websites, social media, podcasts, videos, and fundraising campaigns. Equal parts writer, editor, social media manager, and producer, the Digital Content Editor is a mission-driven and innovative leader committed to dynamic and inspiring content, and plays a key role in strategically developing and growing the brand.
An essential part of the creative team, the Digital Content Editor helps shape the vision of Busted Halo and Amendo: Reconnecting Life and Spirit, a sub-brand of Busted Halo, and ensures all ideas are executed and delivered to plan and within deadlines. The Digital Content Editor has a strong knowledge of the Catholic faith, as well as a sound awareness of news and culture, and can engage with audience members, regardless of where they are in their faith journeys, in a relevant and approachable way.
The Digital Content Editor works directly with the editor-in-chief of Busted Halo and Amendo.
- Brainstorm, schedule, write, proof, promote, repurpose, and oversee content for Busted Halo and Amendo’s digital channels.
- Contribute to planning a robust editorial calendar featuring daily new and repurposed content.
- Help to manage a large community (75+) of freelance writers -- field pitches, assign stories, onboard new members, and process monthly payments.
- Participate in Amendo editorial and brainstorming meetings.
- Stay immersed in news and pop culture, always considering where Busted Halo and Amendo can play a role in larger conversations.
- Identify and build relationships with strategic content partners.
- Write occasional articles and website copy.
- Perform photo research for Busted Halo and Amendo articles.
- Collaborate with Busted Halo’s radio show team for featured podcasts, creating synergy for cross-promotional content opportunities.
- Oversee the posting, scheduling, and editing of articles in WordPress.
- Train and manage interns and other staff in the use of web-based tools including CMS.
- Implement strategies to improve SEO.
Social Media/Content Marketing:
- Manage all social media accounts and develop all social media strategies for Busted Halo and Amendo.
- Write and edit compelling teases for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Lead staff/intern social media workshops.
- Meaningfully engage with Busted Halo fans and followers, acting as primary social liaison, diligently responding to comments, questions, mentions, etc., in Busted Halo’s voice and tone.
- Based on analytics, evolve strategies and content to increase engagement.
- Stay abreast of social media trends and updates to major platforms.
- Collaborate with marketing consultants to strategically promote posts and run ads.
- Create relevant artwork/graphics via Canva or Photoshop.
- Develop social media challenges, contests, and giveaways, and manage prize distribution.
- Utilize a variety of tools/software to schedule posts, track conversations, and monitor engagement.
- Brainstorm content and assist in production for ongoing Busted Halo video series, including “You Don’t Know Jack” and “In Two Minutes,” and new video content.
- Manage Busted Halo YouTube channel.
- Oversee Giving Tuesday social campaign to solicit donations to Busted Halo.
- Represent Busted Halo and Amendo at annual conferences, dialogues, fundraisers, and other local and national events.
- Develop programming for panels and speaking opportunities (including, but not limited to, Catholic Conferences like Catholic Women Religious and Catholic Press Association, and national conferences like SXSW).
- Manage administrative accounts for the office, including water delivery, monthly subscriptions, and software.
- Supervise interns and manage their projects.
- Monitor website performance and collaborate with webmaster when needed.
- 5-10 years of professional experience in content production/journalism/communications with demonstrated success as an expert editor and writer.
- Advanced proficiency in writing compelling copy (examples of previously published work required).
- Expert copy-editing skills, attention to detail, and comprehensive knowledge of AP style.
- Demonstrated experience in creating, planning, and executing digital campaigns.
- Creatively minded with an ability to conceive innovative, outside-the-box ideas.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, remain focused, meet deadlines, and prioritize responsibilities.
- An authentic commitment and passion for the mission and values of Busted Halo and the Paulist Fathers.
- A positive attitude and dedication to sharing the Catholic faith joyfully.
- Proficient knowledge of WordPress and basic knowledge of HTML and SEO.
- Working knowledge of the G Suite, including Google Analytics.
- Enthusiasm for working with a small team.
- Experience moderating Facebook groups and developing brand ambassadors.
- Experience writing and producing video for the web a plus.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits, including full health insurance, some dental coverage, a pension plan, and opportunities for professional development. Other perks include:
- Prime New York City location near Columbus Circle
- Casual dress, relaxed working environment, and creative office culture
- Partial cell phone reimbursement plan
- Annual staff retreat
Salary range: $65-$72K, commensurate with experience
About Amendo: Amendo: Reconnecting Life and Spirit is a new home for creative and thoughtful content on relationships, career, community, spirituality, and living a meaningful life for people in their 20s. At Amendo we’re interested in reconnecting life and spirit. @thisisamendo
About Busted Halo: Busted Halo is a unique media resource that utilizes a relevant and accessible voice to help people understand the Catholic faith, put it into practice in their everyday lives, and share it with others. Our vision is for a more joyful and meaningful experience of Catholicism that positively impacts people’s lives. At Busted Halo, we aim to bring the joy of the Gospel to all people in creative and innovative ways. @bustedhalo
How to apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three samples that demonstrate your skills writing across digital platforms (articles you've published, blogs, social media campaigns, etc.). Also, include examples or links to any social media accounts you’ve managed.