Communications and Development Associate
- Full Time
The Communications and Development Associate is an experienced communicator capable of clear messaging through multiple channels with multiple audiences, including fans, readers, listeners, donors, prospective donors, advertisers, partners, and the press. Demonstrating writing, marketing, fundraising, advertising, and public relations savvy, the Communications and Development Associate is a polished writer with a demonstrated ability to speak as a brand/personality and cultivate relationships. The Communications and Development Associate will continue to raise Busted Halo’s public profile, and plays a key role in bringing our mission to life and strategically growing the Busted Halo brand.
Development / Fundraising:
- Serve as a principal writer for all fundraising communications (campaigns, donor newsletters, thank yous, letters, invitations, etc.) and copyedit, proofread, and revise all communications.
- Collaborate with the executive director, fundraising team, and staff to gather information and content for donor engagement. Serve as an editor and quality control for donor correspondence, ensuring that all communications delivered by Busted Halo meet brand requirements, AP Style guidelines, and standard of excellence.
- Together with the executive director and fundraising team, plan communications strategies to meet fundraising goals.
- Act as customer service for donors when in need of account management.
- Create and deliver invites for fundraising events and coordinate RSVPs.
- Work with the digital content editor to develop a social media strategy during fundraising campaigns.
- Monitor online giving to make sure everything is working properly and optimized for mobile giving.
- Create and order promotional products and brand swag for thank you gifts, contest prizes, conferences, etc.
- Compile regular donation reports from WordPress, Stripe, Facebook, and other sources.
- Identify opportunities to connect with and cultivate potential donors.
Marketing / Advertising:
- Create, design, and launch weekly email marketing campaigns to promote Busted Halo content.
- Use MailChimp, Canva, stock photo websites to design campaign emails.
- Manage reader and donor email databases.
- Use metrics to monitor communications successes and makes suggestions for improvement.
- Liaison with advertising clients, maintain, update, and send out media kits (both proactively and reactively).
- Post website ads using Google AdSense and Ad Manager.
- Pursue brand partnerships.
- Pitch and pursue panels, exhibiting opportunities, speaking engagements, press appearances and special events.
- 3-5 years experience with communications and/or fundraising in a nonprofit organization.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, attention to detail (writing samples required).
- Strong phone and verbal communication skills along with active listening and proficient command of English.
- MailChimp proficiency and experience developing, designing, and sending digital campaigns (and managing lists).
- Excellent project management, organizational, and planning skills.
- Familiarity and comfortability with the institutional Catholic Church.
- Ability to communicate with confidence about spirituality and faith.
- Engaging communication style based on natural warmth, enthusiasm, and joy.
- Experience with online giving, email giving campaigns, and using social media for fundraising.
- Fast-paced and results-oriented.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Google Docs; photo editing software is an asset.
- Experience using WordPress or another CMS, preferred, HTML knowledge a plus.
- Experience with a CRM (Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, Blackbaud).
- Resourceful, creative, self-starter.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits, including full health insurance, some dental coverage, a pension plan, and opportunities for professional development. Other perks include:
- Prime New York City location near Columbus Circle
- Casual dress, relaxed working environment, and creative office culture
- Partial cell phone reimbursement plan
- Annual staff retreat
Salary range: $50-$58K, commensurate with experience
About Busted Halo: Busted Halo is a unique media resource that utilizes a relevant and accessible voice to help people understand the Catholic faith, put it into practice in their everyday lives, and share it with others. Our vision is for a more joyful and meaningful experience of Catholicism that positively impacts people’s lives. At Busted Halo, we aim to bring the joy of the Gospel to all people in creative and innovative ways.
How to apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three writing samples that demonstrate your skills in donor communications (at least one campaign email or digital communication required). Also include examples or links to any digital fundraising campaigns you’ve worked on.