- Full Time
Marijuana Business Daily (MJBizDaily), since 2011 the best-known producer of B2B news and trade shows serving executives and major investors in America's $8 billion cannabis industry, is seeking an experienced reporter with an extensive B2B background to join our team of journalists.
You'll be based in our Lakewood office, receive a competitive salary, paid time off, 401(k) and health benefits. Our editorial is strictly focused on financial, legal and operational topics for business leaders. We do not offer lifestyle, advocacy, medical or consumer content. We also do not publish advertorial or content marketing; our strict church-and-state rules ensure top-quality editorial.
This role will focus primarily on reporting and writing stories for our website, print magazine and premium products, including breaking news, informational/instructional pieces (how-to features, business tips, etc.), briefs, features, in-depth cover stories and business/people profiles. You will also help fact-check, edit and proofread stories as needed and assist with lining up speakers - and possibly moderate sessions - at our major business conferences.
You will need to develop a deep understanding of what types of content our audience needs, with a key focus on determining how we can help business owners understand developments that may affect them.
Required background and skills:
- You should have at minimum five years of professional reporting and editing experience for a B2B publication, as well as experience covering complex, quickly evolving topics such as business, politics, Wall Street or tech.
- A proven ability to learn a difficult beat and to help your audience understand it.
- The ability to write and edit different types of articles, ranging from mobile-friendly news briefs to analytical web/print magazine articles. We need someone who is flexible in how they approach, report and write stories. This is not a position for someone who can only write stories the way they have for the past decade.
- Demonstrated ability to write for a business audience (versus the general public).
- Proven judgement regarding story topics and angles - we need this person to be able to sift through possibilities to zero in on the most useful information for our readers.
Additionally, you must be:
- A self-starter who can manage deadlines and projects without being micromanaged.
- A clean, smooth writer who does not need much editing to turn out polished, readable articles without factual errors.
- Experience working in a digital-first editorial environment.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- An understanding of SEO and the importance of keywords.
- An understanding of how to craft content for mobile viewership.
- The ability to adapt to a quickly changing industry.
- Experience working on business content for conferences and events.
- Basic knowledge of the cannabis/hemp industries.
Marijuana Business Daily is a division of Anne Holland Ventures Inc., a privately held, woman-owned company based in Lakewood, CO. We are an equal opportunity employer