Senior Public Information Officer
- Full Time
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
We are currently seeking a dynamic Senior Public Information Officer for our Office of Media Relations. Reporting to the Director, Corporate Communications, the successful candidate will serve as a liaison with members of the media and trade publications writers. The candidate will contribute to the development of the strategic communications plans, help implement the agency’s Social media initiatives and assist with organizing and implementing media events.
This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovate work that impacts the bi-state region’s visitors, businesses and residents. The role will support the agency’s efforts to provide timely, accurate, and robust content for engagement and communication with our customers.
As part of the Office of Media Relations, the selected candidate will respond to media inquiries, initiate pitch calls to journalists, and coordinate with program staff in order to best articulate the agency’s position on issues vital to the region’s vast transportation network and economic growth. The work will include drafting and editing a variety of written materials including media releases/advisories, public statements, social media and website content. Development of Social Media outreach and response plans will be a key part of the position, the selected candidate will help monitor and respond via the agency’s Twitter handles on a variety of breaking news situations.
As part of the Media Relations team, you will work in a fast-paced environment, where breaking news events often dictate a day’s priorities. Flexibility is necessary, with the need of some on-call, evening and weekend work as needed.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Marketing or a related field from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a fast-paced news or public relations environment or serving as a communications/press spokesperson for an elected official or public entity.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Significant experience with social media.
- Individual must be a self-starter and be able to communicate in a persuasive and compelling manner.
- On the-record experience and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with reporters, promote positive image of agency, and articulate complex aspects of the agency to media, public and target audience.
- Must demonstrate excellent judgment, balance multiple priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making and research skills are vital.
- Must stay abreast of local and state news as well as agency goals and policies.
- Work effectively with program staff to develop appropriate responses and materials.
- Research, develop, write and edit a variety of public information materials.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
<img height=1 width=1 border=0 src=https://panynj.contacthr.com/70948506.jpg />
To apply for this position, please visit the link provided.