The Penguin Young Readers group is looking for an Assistant Art Director who will be responsible for designing and managing approximately 25 children’s books per year for Penguin Workshop.
This imprint publishes approximately 225 titles a year, creating every kind of children’s book for every kind of child. Focused on ages 0-12, they offer picture books, middle grade fiction, original paperback series, leveled readers, nonfiction, activity books and licenses to captivate even the most reluctant of readers.
In addition to best-selling chapter books, award-winning Readers, and the ever-popular Mad Libs, the group expands in-house brands including The Little Engine That Could, The World of Eric Carle, and Llama Llama, and continues the legacy of Beatrix Potter. They are leaders in the nonfiction market with their Who Was? program and work with top licensors on media tie-in publishing.
Specifically, the Assistant Art Director:
* Designs and manages all stages of book production—for both covers and interiors—for approximately 25 children’s book titles per year. Responsibilities herein include hiring and directing illustrators, working with freelance designers, trafficking material for approval, maintaining schedules, and preparing files for output.
* Works collaboratively with all members of the team from concept to finish.
* Effectively communicates with artists and agents.
* Maintains and strictly adheres to production schedules.
* Remains current on art, design, and publishing trends.
* Takes a creative lead by bringing new ideas as well as expertise to the design team.
* Assists the Art Director as needed in managing the Design team.
* Manages at least one in-house brand such as Mad Libs.
* Works with other in-house departments to ensure materials requests are met in a timely and effective manner.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a design capacity in publishing and/or children’s brands and licensing
* Excellent people-management skills
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Sharp communication and presentation skills
* Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
* Ability to manage competing priorities while adhering to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
* Advanced knowledge of Adobe’s Creative Suite programs, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
* An appreciation of all kinds of books and all kinds of readers
* Interest in pop culture a must
To apply, please submit your portfolio, resume, and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.