Executive Director of Communications and Media Relations
- Full Time
Reporting to the Vice Dean of Columbia College and serving as a member of the Dean’s leadership team, the Executive Director is the primary strategist for developing, producing and overseeing a wide range of multimedia content for Columbia College (CC) as well as undergraduate student communications outreach for The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS). The Executive Director will exercise leadership on behalf of the Dean to ensure that the communications (print, digital, social media) from across all CC units are consistent and coordinated, and reflect the overall mission of the College. To do this, the Executive Director will provide overall leadership to and management of the communications team members while also working with internal and external stakeholders to meet established goals. In addition, the Executive Director serves on the Dean’s Office Management team, upholding its shared mission, core values and leadership principles.
- Drive strategic communication planning in consultation with CC senior leaders. Develop a comprehensive communication strategy that promotes a unified voice and represents best-in-class communication strategies. Engage stakeholders throughout the College to ensure that the communications strategy aligns with the needs of the College. Work on large-scale communications projects for enhancing the presence of the Dean and Columbia College with both print and online communication. Create and execute creative and strategic communications initiatives to both internal and external audiences. Stay on top of emerging trends in the communications field.
- Work closely with the Vice Dean to create an editorial voice that conveys the mission of the College and ensure that this voice is used consistently throughout all CC communications. Work with joint student-facing CC/SEAS units to follow CC and SEAS branding guidelines ensuring consistency across units for all printed and electronic communication such as: reports and presentations, publications, brochures, website, media, letters and announcements. Work with the Dean and Vice Dean to manage crisis communications for all of CC’s constituencies.
- Provide leadership, vision, and management for the College’s Communications team. Set annual goals and objectives for the team as a whole and for individual staff members. Support the growth and development of a high functioning team. Develop metrics for team success and evaluate staff and unit success against established metrics.
- Understand the importance of new media and collaborate with the Director of Web Development to integrate online and new media strategies into the overall communications strategy. Oversee the production of a wide range of multimedia content for the CC Website and social media sites. Provide direction for the creation of content for podcasts, video profiles, digital photo galleries, slide shows, interactive graphics, and work closely with internal IT staff to implement website and other applicable media outlets.
- Direct media relations for the Office of the Dean/CC. Work closely with the CU Public Affairs Office and other relevant University offices on all media requests representing the Office of the Dean/CC with both internal and external requests. Work closely with the students from Columbia Spectator and other student media to ensure students have access to information pertaining to the Office of the Dean/CC.
- Serve as a member of the CC/SEAS On-Call and Emergency Response team and provide leadership in the management of student, parent, and campus communications related to significant and/or disruptive events. Create and distribute talking points to assist with crisis mitigation. Crisis management activities may require evening and weekend availability.
- Develop communication strategies for the Office of the Dean and Columbia College in response to immediate requests or needs. Create press releases for special announcements, develop presentation materials, prepare speeches and briefings, conduct fact-checking for the Dean of Columbia College and other senior leadership. Manage the production of the College’s annual report.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
Use the Link Below to Review Qualifications and Apply: