- Full Time
As the world’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, GLAAD is at the forefront of accelerating acceptance to ensure fair, accurate, and inclusive representation that leads to cultural change. For over 30 years, GLAAD has been a dynamic media force rewriting the script for LGBTQ acceptance. Our work tackles tough issues that shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change.
GLAAD operates with support from foundations, corporations and individuals from every corner of the United States. Our highly skilled team of more than 50 staff work out of our Headquarters in New York and an office in Los Angeles and support our expanded reach through multiple chapters across the country. Over the past several years, GLAAD has achieved rapid and significant growth and currently has an annual operating budget of approximately $12 million.
GLAAD is seeking a dynamic and energetic leader to take the GLAAD Media Institute to the next level. This position is based in NYC, manages a department of seven and reports directly to the CEO. The GLAAD Media Institute is a consultative, training and research focused division of GLAAD Inc., working to engage, educate and train business leaders, media professionals and the next generation of activists to accelerate the acceptance of LGBTQ people and other marginalized communities through the broad media spectrum.
Drawing on over 30 years of experience, the GLAAD Media Institute shares best practices and proprietary research findings with individuals and organizations around the world, including corporations, journalists, news organizations, film studios, and television networks, as well as content creators, activists and advocates of all kinds of expertise who advocate for and promote positive cultural change. The GLAAD Media Institute also offers assistance in managing messaging, crisis communications and informed storytelling.
The Managing Director of the GLAAD Media Institute performs the following essential functions:
- Provides strategic, innovative leadership in the design, implementation and continuous improvement in the areas of responsibility and related programs and services;
- Responsible for alignment with the Institute’s strategic initiatives and facilitates the preparation of short- and long-term plans in support of the Institute’s mission, vision and goals;
- Facilitate partnerships with valuable public, private and agencies (e.g., city council, universities, foundations, etc.), that provide opportunities to broaden GLAAD Media Institute's impact and reach;
- Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships with business and industry partners, agencies, community organizations and/or educational institutions;
- Directs strategies and initiatives to staff aligned with organizational priorities and to develop personal and team strengths and leverage continuous learning opportunities;
- Oversee GLAAD Media Institute budget ensuring that revenue and expenses are effectively managed and adjusted throughout the fiscal year as needed, providing revenue/expense projections. Currently a $2 million division with projected growth in the next few years to $10 million.
- Provide leadership to develop exemplary content of all GLAAD Media Institute educational programming and research;
- Continuously gather, analyze, and develop GLAAD Media Institute program data and implement appropriate improvement strategies;
- Work with GLAAD Media Institute staff to ensure consistent and appropriately timed messaging for website, educational content, and other relevant materials;
- Oversee development of training programs designed to support GLAAD Media Institute organizational strategy and objectives;
- Oversees the development of marketing strategies driving enrollment and programmatic recognition and growth;
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations, accrediting commissions, licensing requirements, and with administrative regulations and Board policies as appropriate;
- Responsible for employee supervision and accountability, both direct and indirect reports, including recruitment, selection, orientation, scheduling, evaluation, coaching, rewards/recognition, and discipline;
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Candidate Profile | Competencies | Personal Qualities
The ideal candidate should possess the following experience, competencies and personal qualities:
- Proven leadership and strategic business acumen
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Experience developing marketing tools
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to develop relationships and partnerships, both internally and externally
- Proven success in donor development practice
- Ability to interact and work effectively with a diversity of associates at all organizational levels
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite products
- Creative, flexible, and innovative team player
- Extensive experience in a relevant area of consulting, training and research and an established reputation in field
- Experienced team-leader
Experience | Education:
- Minimum BA/BS
- Minimum 15 years professional experience at management/executive level
- Career experience in media, marketing and/or academic
- Management experience leading teams
- Managed P&L
- Authored op-ed, white paper, article, book
- Non-profit Board experience
Competencies | Personal qualities:
- Proven ability to publish top quality content in training, consulting or research
- Proven ability to speak publicly
- Proven ability to secure significant funding
- Proven ability to develop local and external collaborations
- Proven ability to create a strategic vision
GLAAD is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GLAAD is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, height and weight, or other personal characteristics as may be protected by applicable law.
Statement on Diversity:
GLAAD was established with the premise that expanding diversity within the organization enhances the work experience and furthers the understanding of the entire mission that GLAAD is based upon. An atmosphere of civility and mutual respect towards difference is indispensable to the work process and enables the free interchange of ideas that is the basis of a successful organization. These differences may be cultural, ethnic, religious, intellectual, ideological or political. Each of these qualities is integral to the identity we form as individuals, and all are essential to creating a vibrant workforce here at GLAAD comprised of individuals with unique perspectives and backgrounds. GLAAD has committed itself to a workforce of inclusion, respect for difference, and fairness, and guarantees the same rights to all its employees to ensure the fullest degree of success within the organization.