Writer - Sports, Animals, Travel, Pop Culture, And More
Come join our fun, creative Topix editorial team! We're looking for a writer to create articles, lists, and quizzes for several of our wide variety of verticals.
This position is a part-time contract position to start, but could lead to a full-time role. Compensation is on an hourly basis.
- Good at grammar and spelling but not a jerk about it (you may join the ongoing prescriptivist/descriptivist debate always simmering in our Slack channel)
- Immersed in internet slang, social media, and pop culture trends
Our entire writing team is remote and we sync up via Slack and video conferencing. If you happen to be in the Bay Area, you are welcome to work from our office in Palo Alto (which has a kitchen with a truly astonishing snack selection). Our writers have been published in Gawker, Jezebel, Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, and MTV.com, among other places.
- 2+ years of experience writing online for a substantial audience
Some experience with making slideshows, listicles, or quizzes focused on three or more of the following topics:
- Internet culture
- Health and wellness
- Product reviews
- A way with words, so that your sentences make people laugh or feel emotionally engaged
- Meticulous writing, editing and self-editing skills
- A strong visual sense
- Ability to write about a variety of topics
Nice to have, but not required:
- BA or MA in English, journalism, or a related field
- Experience with Photoshop or other image editing software
- Experience editing, writing, or otherwise producing video web content
When you apply, please include:
- 3-4 samples of online writing in the vein of one of our slideshows or quizzes
- A cover letter in which you mention:
- Your favorite reality show (we will absolutely not judge you)
- Your favorite YouTube channel (no judgment here either)
- Which topics you would most enjoy writing about
- Which topics you would least enjoy writing about
You may be asked to complete a timed, paid writing test as part of the application process on a topic of our choosing.
About the company:
Topix.com is an entertainment and media company where more than 18 million people a month find a growing collection of content about celebrities, pop culture, current events and more. A company that started with news aggregation, since 2014 Topix has focused on producing viral and shareable content.
Based in Palo Alto, California, Topix LLC is a privately held company with investment from Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI), The McClatchy Company (NYSE: MNI) and Tribune Company.