Senior Editor, The Appeal
3 days left
- Full Time
The Senior Editor will edit articles produced by The Appeal, TJC's journalism arm, and occasionally co-run with other publications.
- Help develop article ideas and make commissions in line with The Appeal’s aims of (1) lifting up county-level justice stories that hold officials accountable and contextualizing those stories within the national criminal justice debate, (2) highlighting cutting- edge and under-reported criminal justice issues, and (3) providing sophisticated analysis on the pressing issues facing our justice system.
- Supervise articles from the beginning to the end of the production process, including overseeing staff journalists, freelance journalists, academic contributors, and multimedia contributors as they do reporting and submit drafts.
- Aid staff journalists with identifying and shaping a variety of multimedia story products, including shorter news-driven pieces, breaking news, narrative features, investigative journalism, and podcasts.
- Edit articles, including sculpting the frame on the front end and providing high-level edits and line edits at the back end.
- Supervise and coordinate the fact check and copy edit process.
- Mentor staff journalists. Ensure that their work product meets the highest standards of journalistic excellence and adheres to journalism ethics.
- Recruit freelance contributors.
- Identify co-publishing partners for Appeal content; work with edit staff at co-publishing partners.
- Participate in strategic planning for The Appeal as requested by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Perform additional tasks as identified by the Editor-in-Chief and the Editorial Team.
- At least 7 years experience in the journalism field (with preference for candidates with 10+ years of experience), with 5 years experience as an editor.
- Outstanding communication skills, written skills, organizational skills, and high attention to detail.
- Willingness to work in a creative, fast-paced, start-up environment and to help The Appeal grow.
- High work ethic and dependability, including demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Much of the staff works in a virtual office environment.
- Experience collaborating with a team and supervising and mentoring journalists.
- Deep background knowledge of the criminal justice system. Excitement about working at the axis of journalism and criminal justice reform. Commitment to the importance of accountability through excellent journalism.
- Commitment to cultivating diversity and lifting up unheard voices.
- Ability to travel occasionally for Appeal meetings and events.
- Ours is a virtual workspace and requires comfort working in that environment.
- Applicants may live anywhere in the United States.
About The Justice Collaborative
The Justice Collaborative is a team of legal experts, researchers, journalists, and media strategists working across a collection of aligned projects that share the common goal of bringing human dignity and restraint to our deeply flawed criminal justice system.
At The Appeal, we produce original journalism about criminal justice that engages the public and holds officials to account. We focus on the most significant drivers of mass incarceration, which occur at the state and local level. Nearly one in four Americans has a criminal record, and state-level facilities hold 87 percent of America’s incarcerated people. We draw on deep expertise to expose the human impact of our most routine criminal justice practices.
The Justice Collaborative is a fiscally sponsored project of Tides Advocacy, a non-profit 501(c)(4).
Apply for Senior Editor, The Appeal
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly