Content Director: Start Your Own Business
- Full Time
Entrepreneur.com is hiring a content director in its New York City office to oversee its “Start Your Own Business” channel. This is the part of our site devoted to how-to content for people learning to start and run a business.
Why aren’t we calling this an “editor” job? Because it’s much more than that. This is a new role for the company; we are re-organizing our digital properties into subjects, each of which will have a content director, which means the right candidate has the opportunity to come in and help us shape the future of Entrepreneur.com.
True to our name and the audience we serve, we want someone who will attack this role the way an entrepreneur would—thinking not just about individual stories or editorial calendars, but about every possible way that we can help people start and grow their businesses. We want our content director to think of themselves as an owner—not just of a section, but of a topic. We want you to ask yourself every day: “How can I create something useful for entrepreneurs?”
We have plenty of ideas about what that means, and we’ll list some here. But we’ll also be looking for candidates who bring their own ideas and energy and are eager to make this role their own. We want big ideas and entrepreneurial instincts.
For example, here are some of the tasks of this job:
- Produce and edit content touching on all facets of launching and running a business
- Creatively repackage and resurface relevant content from our vast archive
- Conceptualize (and then, with our dev team, help develop) new digital tools that can help entrepreneurs—for example, online calculators, guides, downloadable pdfs, webinars, and more
- Identify and build relationships with new partners—from independent podcasts that can become part of our network, to events that we can work together on, and more
- Work with our sales team to come up with new sponsorship opportunities
The ideal candidate is familiar with the interests and needs of entrepreneurs—having served this audience before—or they may even have an entrepreneurial background themselves. The candidate should also have existing knowledge of building a business, from ideation to fundraising to legal concerns to growth strategies.
Candidate must have at least five years of experience. What specific work experience are we looking for? We’re open to it. We’re expecting to meet candidates who have editorial backgrounds, as well as candidates who have business backgrounds (but are still good writers and editors). We’re ultimately looking for who has the best ideas, passion, leadership instincts, and ability to execute.
Submit cover letter and resume.