Associate Editor, DynaMath
- Full Time
We are looking for an associate editor to join DynaMath, Scholastic's classroom math magazine for grades 3 through 5 (upper elementary school students). This editor will work on all components of the product including the production of engaging feature articles, math-related news stories, online games, worksheets, videos, and teaching resources. In order to build a community of like-minded educators, the incumbent will also write and edit blog posts, social media posts, and e-newsletters.
This job requires an ability to think creatively to generate visually appealing, kid-friendly stories and come up with ways to use actual data to illustrate skills outlined in the Common Core State Standards for Math. This is a highly collaborative work environment; the right candidate will be eager to join in discussions and brainstorming sessions with coworkers and in a group setting.
This is a wonderful opportunity for a math- and education-savvy nonfiction writer/editor to join the world’s largest children’s publisher and make a positive impact on the lives of thousands of students nationwide.
• Collaborate with the Editor to develop highly engaging nonfiction texts and editorial assets including feature articles, news shorts, and games that cover a range of curriculum-based math topics for grades 3-5
• Collaborate with the Editor and Education Editor to create relevant teaching materials such as lesson plans, math hands-on activities, and worksheets
• Research and pitch story ideas
• Produce assets for the DynaMathwebsite, blog, Facebook group, and other social accounts
• Review and proofread layouts and all editorial assets
HOW YOU CAN FIT
• B.S. or B.A. required. M.A. or M.S. preferred.
• At least 1 to 2 years editorial experience, preferably in children’s or educational publishing
• Proven writing, editing, and proofreading abilities
• High-level reporting and researching skills, and a laser-focused attention to detail
• Passion for education and a flair for presenting information in an engaging way to a young audience
• Comfortable with and interested in teaching mathematical concepts and creating math-education resources
• Knowledge of primary education and Common Core State Standards preferred
• Willingness to dig deep into math concepts, as well as research data from relevant and reputable sources
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.