Better Bike Share Partnership Writer
Job Title: Better Bike Share Partnership Writer
Type: 20 hours/week; contract position
Location: Any; position can work remotely
Position Summary: Writes and manages all content related to bike share and equity for the Better Bike Share Partnership (BBSP); manages all social media for the Better Bike Share Partnership; other writing projects as assigned.
The Better Bike Share Partnership (BBSP) is a collaboration funded by The JPB Foundation to build equitable and replicable bike share systems. Partners include the City of Philadelphia, the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia, the National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) and the PeopleForBikes Foundation. BBSP advances its work by testing pilot strategies in the Philadelphia Indego system, providing resources and technical assistance to cities and operators, supporting meetings and convenings of those engaged in this work, funding equity strategies in cities across the U.S. and sharing all of these stories widely through the BBSP website and blog.
The BBSP Writer’s primary duty is to 1) research and write about all issues related to bike share, bicycling and equity, with a special focus on efforts to increase bike share use in low-income and communities of color, and 2) manage social media accounts for the Better Bike Share Partnership. The majority of the content will be published in the form of blog posts. Story types may include sharing grantee programs and accomplishments, interviews with shared mobility users, operators and city staff, distilling research papers into key concepts and findings, identifying trends in bike share usage by neighborhood or finding an equity-related angle in a media article that mentions bike sharing, disseminating news about related work from BBSP partners.
The BBSP Writer will work under the PeopleForBikes Director of Grants + Partnerships, in collaboration with the PeopleForBikes/Better Bike Share Marketing Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produces and manages all content on the Better Bike Share Partnership website; minimum of six blogs created and posted per month and one case study, one pager, or other resource created and posted per month
- Develops an editorial plan annually
- Manages all social media accounts, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Collaborates in the ongoing development of the Better Bike Share brand
- Works closely with the PeopleForBikes staff to adhere to budget guidelines and deliver on editorial objectives
- Manages relationships with other blog contributors
- Assists in the development of the website as it relates to the blog
- Monitors and analyzes readership on the blog and strives to increase it
- Defines and refines best audience for content
- Pitches blog content to other relevant blogs and news sources
- Monitors and records placement of blog content
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or related field OR in urban planning, public policy or public health OR equivalent experience
- At least 2 years prior experience writing published content
- Interest and experience in equity issues, community outreach and social justice
- Familiarity with bicycling-related efforts of city government
- Enthusiastic about developing connections and contacts in the blogging world
- Working knowledge of city planning jargon and the ability to write technically as well as translate for a broader audience
- Experience managing and creating content for the web
- Working knowledge of HTML
- Ability to cooperate and communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisor and outside contacts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Team-oriented and able to accept ideas and strategy from other individuals
- Works well under pressure
- Attentive to detail
- Self-directed and able to carry out assignments without supervision
- Willing to travel occasionally
- Enthusiasm for bicycling
Compensation and benefits:
This contract position is for 80 hours/month, with an hourly rate of $30-$35/hour based on experience. The contract will extend through June 30, 2020, with the possibility of extending if additional grant funding is secured.
This position can work remotely.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter via email with “BBSP Writer” in the subject line to email@example.com.
The position will remain open until filled. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted. PeopleForBikes is an equal opportunity employer.
PeopleForBikes is a national bicycling organization with the mission to get more people on bikes more often. It is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado.
Apply for Better Bike Share Partnership Writer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly