Marketing Promotions Specialist, Publishing
- Full Time
Smithsonian Books publishes a select list of nonfiction and illustrated works in categories where the Smithsonian's authority is unparalleled, such as history, science and technology, and art. We also produce illustrated books based on the Smithsonian’s collections, guidebooks for Smithsonian museums, and an annual engagement calendar.
We seek an experienced Marketing Promotions Specialist in our Washington, D.C. office to work with the Marketing Director of Smithsonian Books on long-term projects promoting titles in sales and publicity capacities.
Key duties including the following:
- Responsible for all print, online, television, and radio publicity:
- Plans, schedules, and produces regular outreach communications to review and media editors/journalists for book review/feature coverage
- Schedules in-person review meetings with PW, LJ, SLJ, NYT Book Review, Wall Street Journal Book Review section, Scientific American, Science (when appropriate), NPR, and The Washington Post
- Maintains regular communications with editors, producers, journalists, and online writers to ensure familiarity with the Smithsonian publishing program and garner review/feature coverage
- Organizes author tours and events
- Writes original sales and marketing copy including press releases, title information sheets, sales collateral, jacket copy, marketing letters, web content, and other projects
- Works with Marketing Director to create and execute marketing, publicity, and sales campaigns
- Plan, attend, and schedule meetings for BEA and ALA representing Smithsonian Books.
- Maintain and update the Smithsonian Books web site.
- Research, maintain, and update databases, including media, customer, and course-adoption databases.
- Performs other related administrative tasks as necessary.
Education and Experience we seek:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college in a related discipline and minimum of 3 years marketing experience - preferably in book, magazine, or newspaper publishing.
- Experience with placing reviews, features, or interviews with major national media outlets and social networks.
- Excellent writing skills for marketing, sales, and promotional materials.
- Experience scheduling author tours and events.
- Familiarity using MeltWater to research media-editorial-journalism contacts.
- Excellent communication skills; able to effectively express thoughts and ideas easily in groups and one-on-one.
- Familiar with editorial, marketing, sales, and publicity aspects of the book publishing industry
- Professional, courteous manner.
- Ability to multi-task and complete complex projects in a timely manner.
- Independent judgment is required to learn, plan, prioritize, and organize diversified projects.
- Ability to organize files, correspondence, and other information in a logical manner.
- Ability to manage and coordinate scheduling.
- Proven experience with all Microsoft Office products, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint. PhotoShop experience a plus.
- High attention to detail: must be able to handle information with a high level of confidentiality.
Salary: Up to $52k annually – Commensurate with experience.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to:
Please include job title in the subject line.
Excellent Benefit programs including Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental/Vision Insurance, Transit/Commuter Benefits, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Annual and Sick Leave, Family Friendly Leave, 403b Retirement Program, Discounts for Smithsonian Memberships, Museum Stores and Restaurants, Flexible Spending Account (Health & Dependent Care)
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
Final candidate selection will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Employees are required to participate in Direct Deposit for salary payment.
This is not a Federal Service position. Applicants must be US employment eligible. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Relocation expenses are not paid.