Director, Web Content & Creative
- Full Time
The Director, Web Content & Creative is a key part of the Association's strategic communications team, providing strategic direction of alz.org content as well as the onsite user experience. The successful candidate will have a strong editorial background and be an expert in web writing and editing, information architecture, SEO and user experience. This leader will also understand the role and needs of the global site, alz.org, as well as chapter sites that serve communities across the country, and will be able to drive cohesive strategies across multiple online properties to achieve outcomes. This position works in close collaboration with senior business owners, including the Director of Technical Strategy for alz.org, the Director of Social Media, and the Senior Director of Marketing & Advertising.
This position is based in the Home Office in downtown Chicago, IL and reports to the Director, Strategic Communications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Demonstrates leadership as the director of a creative team that develops mission-focused web content for the general public and key constituents, including individuals living with Alzheimer’s, family caregivers, physicians and direct care providers, and researchers and donors.
- Manages direct and indirect reports, overseeing quality and workload of digital creative team (editors, web designer) as well as deliverables from agencies and vendors.
- Responsible for overseeing the creation of engaging web copy following and modeling AP Stylebook and in-house style guide, while understanding web and search implications and strategically optimizing content to meet goals.
- Directs marketing strategies on alz.org to increase conversion to online giving, event participation, email acquisition and engagement with Association resources.
- Defines scope and methodology for major web projects. Lead both creation and maintenance of engaging content against a yearly digital marketing project calendar (includes campaigns such as Facts & Figures and Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness Month).
- Participates in and lead creative meetings, bringing a strategic and thoughtful perspective to the client; manage and oversee cross-departmental projects from inception through finished product, including rounds of approval through multiple channels.
- Demonstrates deep understanding of information architecture, user experience and web content best practices.
- Identifies opportunities for collaboration with internal clients, assessing developments in language and information to proactively recommend application on alz.org.
- Provides strategic direction for 75 local chapter web editors by defining content guidelines based on optimal user experience, local needs and editorial calendar.
- Makes directorial recommendations for the web content and creative team, including budget, staffing and strategic planning.
- Uses data to drive digital content decisions
- Collaborates with Director, Technical Strategy on all web projects, ensuring free flow of communication to align on technical feasibility.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Models, supports and implements the Alzheimer's Association brand, maintaining integrity and consistency throughout all communications.
- Builds and maintains relationships with internal clients in order to better understand and meet their digital marketing needs; looks for opportunities to guide content strategically.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English, health communications, marketing or related discipline required
- 10+ years of progressive, professional experience in digital content strategy
- 4-6 years of experience in a supervisory role
- Experience working in a content management system; experience in Kentico a plus
- Excellent analytical thinking skills and the ability to use data to drive digital content decisions
- Ability to stay current with digital trends, and identify business opportunities and overarching strategy
- Provide a portfolio of work: website copy, published articles in organizational newsletters, marketing materials, etc.Ability to lead and motivate, especially with staff in matrix reporting relationships
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed (up to 10%)
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings/weekends as required for the job