BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Job Title: Manuscript Editors, BMC Series (12-month contract)
Organisation: BMC/Springer Nature
Location: London, New York or Shanghai
Closing Date: 19th August 2019
Are you a PhD-qualified candidate looking for your first editorial position? The BMC Series is looking for Manuscript Editors to work on this important collection of journals.
The BMC Series is a collection of community-focused, open access journals that cover all areas of science and medicine. The ethos of these journals is that editorial decisions are not based on the perceived impact or interest level of papers, but on rigourous science.
The Manuscript Editors will assist the existing in-house team and external editorial board with the editorial process on a range of BMC series journals. Full training will be provided, and these positions will provide an excellent grounding for candidates wishing to move into a permanent editorial position.
- Assessing a range of research manuscripts
- Making editorial decisions based on peer review reports
- Communicating with the in-house editorial team, authors and editorial board members
- Ensuring that high standards of editorial integrity are maintained
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to PhD level (or equivalent) in a biological or biomedical science
- Broad interest in biology and medicine
- Fast learner, able to quickly become familiar with new topics and processes
- Ability to meet targets and deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Strong communication skills
- An interest in open access publishing
At BioMed Central we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles..
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.