The Publicity Assistant will provide daily support for two directors, performing general office tasks like answering phones, monitoring supplies, overseeing mailings, and fielding requests while receiving on-the-job training and mentoring to learn the skills needed to become a publicist. This position will work with a range of commercial fiction, including women’s fiction, speculative fiction, mysteries, romance, and more.
* Assists Associate Publicity Director, Assistant Publicity Director, and select Publicists (i.e. provides assistance where needed with high profile author tours, publicity campaigns, creating promotional materials, and New York media events)
* Assists with call-backs, answers phones, performs mailings, assembles publicity materials, fulfills review copy requests, and maintains office supplies
* Seeks publicity across print, TV, radio, and online media for assigned books, with oversight and support from supervisors
* Develops and maintains strong working relationships with relevant media contacts, including reviewers and bloggers
* Works and communicates with authors throughout the publicity campaign, as well as with editors and other in-house employees
* Handles departmental tasks shared with other publicity assistants (i.e. sets up meetings, handles review copy requests, monitors supplies and answers phones)
• Excellent organizational skills and follow-up ability
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Comfortable asking questions, taking direction, and offering creative ideas
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and shifting priorities in a deadline-driven environment
• Genuine interest in publicity, publishing, and books
• Strong interest in commercial and genre fiction and pop culture
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Salary for this position is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.