Public Relations Associate
- Full Time
Public Relations Associate (Relocation Friendly) Your job in a nutshell: Researching article topic ideas, writing press releases, pitching our studies/articles to the media via email pitching and social media targeting. This position includes:
- Drafting media materials.
- Building media relationships.
- Brainstorming pitch angles with our data-driven team.
- Securing coverage in niche media outlets.
- As the Public Relations Associate you will research/analysis with SEO & analytics data with the use of enterprise PR, social and SEO tools.
You will report to the Public Relations Director and will have multiple touch points in the organization including the CMO.
Our Mission: To deliver the best answers to people’s questions.
Named to the Inc. 500 list of America’s fastest-growing private companies, Fit Small Business has more than 3 million small business owners and managers reading our content each month. We deliver well-researched, authoritative articles so these owners can make informed decisions to grow businesses that fuel the economy. Our founders have built successful businesses before, and FSB is profitable with no outside funding. Part of the team of 170+ people is in our NYC headquarters, near Grand Central. Others are distributed across the U.S., Canada, and the Philippines.
Does this sound like you?
The Public Relations Associate will be a strong writer with demonstrable press coverage in various media outlets - niche/shelter publications or consumer publications. You must also enjoy working in a cross-collaborative environment and be a problem solver.
- You have a strong desire to create news and pitch our articles and experts to the media.
- You use social media and develop long-lasting relationships.
- You are inquisitive and will to do research to find the answer.
- Writing is a favorite form of communication for you.
- You value working with forward-thinking, curious, and supportive teammates.
- You embrace change and new things as an opportunity to learn.
- You have a passion for knowledge in trends in the news, media, politics and pop culture.
- Farming out journalist queries throughout the day to our writer experts and editing their responses to make them media-friendly.
- Researching and disseminating data for our articles before we choose our article topics.
- Working in tandem with our Search Engine Optimization (SEO) team as necessary.
- Drafting press releases every few weeks for our data-driven topics
- Pitch our data-driven articles to niche media outlets for regional and sector-specific media placement pickup.
- Researching key influencers and building media lists in a variety of sectors for social media (Twitter and LinkedIn) to promote our data-driven articles.
- Researching trends to see what the media is focusing on to help better narrow down topics for our articles.
- Draft media reports on an as-needed basis.
- Using analytics and SEO tools monitor analyze and make recommendations on past performance through the creation of set KPIs and reporting you’ll own.
- Cultivating relationships with journalists and build on those relationships.
- You have at least 6 months of PR background either at an agency or in-house, have superior written and verbal skills, and know how to pitch various media outlets differently.
- Preferable if you have a portfolio that shows some media placements.
- An almost obsessive attention to detail in everything you do (pitches, press releases, media reports).
- Ability and desire to craft a compelling pitch with tight and precise language.
- Strong ability to multitask as this position will have you working on a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Should be comfortable using Cision media list software.
Tools you will use:
G Suite, Slack, Zoom, Trello, Cision, TrendKite, Microsoft Word.
It’s fine if you haven’t used these. Just be enthusiastic to learn them.
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary
- Quality health insurance (subsidized by FSB)
- Short-term and long-term disability (Paid by FSB)
- Traditional & Roth 401K plans with matching from first day
- Vision, dental, and life insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Commuter Benefits
- Perks and discounts via our PEO
- A collaborative workplace, which will challenge you and celebrate your work
- A chance to learn with and from interesting and enthusiastic colleagues
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.