Social media producer, It’s a Southern Thing
- Full Time
We’re building a new kind of Southern media company. Come join us!
After creating one of the most popular Southern brands on the internet, Red Clay Media is expanding to reach even more people. We’re looking for video producers, writers and social media producers to help us get there.
We’re a team of Southern storytellers – filmmakers, writers and social media experts – who together invented and grew the wildly successful It’s a Southern Thing in 2017. Since then,
we’ve produced more than a billion video views and gained millions of followers. Now, we’re adding more people to our team to explore one of the most culturally rich parts of the United States.
We’re seeking new team members to help us implement some big plans. In this next round of hiring, we’re looking for people who can help us expand the brand of comedy we’re best known for as well as people to help us grow in new areas:
Inspiration: We want to introduce our audience to more people who call the South home – people like the Queen of Walmart Marlene and the Incredible Mr. E.
Culture and customs: We’re developing programming that speaks to an authentic, diverse Southern experience – and starts conversations. Do catfish and spaghetti go together?
You’ll create work that will live on our quickly growing digital brands that already reach millions of people – and help us grow our content in new places, from books and merchandise to programming for small and large screens. You’ll join a friendly, fun, creative and passionate team. We’re looking for people willing to experiment, not afraid of change, open to hard work, brainstorming, collaboration, big ideas and taking chances. Our Emmy-award winning team has produced videos that have generated more than a billion views and our Shorty-award winning social brands have millions of followers.
We’re based in Birmingham, Ala., a city with an affordable lifestyle that’s known for top restaurants, stellar music and a growing tech startup scene. Birmingham is a few hours’ drive from beautiful Gulf Coast beaches, Nashville and Atlanta, and it is the heart of a new South revival. We’re open to remote work for some positions. Our parent company is publishing leader Advance Local.
Most of our roles have overlap and we encourage you to take a look to see if there’s a way of fitting your passions and skill sets with us. Don’t be shy, y’all – reach out to us.
Social media producer, It’s a Southern Thing
It’s a Southern Thing is looking for a creative, passionate social media producer with a great sense of humor to help manage social media and our 3+ million followers across Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter. We serve up relatable humor, inspirational people, and fascinating stories that break the stereotypes and show the South as the culturally rich, diverse, down-home place it really is. We’re looking for someone to join our team to help us grow a new kind of Southern media company.
This role will require someone who proactively seeks new ways to engage our audiences across multiple platforms, continuously analyzes performance of social content and re-evaluates tactics based on metrics. We’re seeking someone who keeps up with trends relative to audience engagement, innovates and quickly adjusts based on results.
This job will require you to:
- Share content across multiple accounts in a voice and style that is appropriate for each brand and platform, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and more as we continue to expand.
- Create visual content that sparks conversations about Southern experiences.
- Monitor conversations and respond to questions and comments from our followers.
- Work both individually and collaboratively.
- Identify trending content.
- Monitor analytics.
- Participate in conversations about the South.
- Work a flexible schedule.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven experience building, engaging and maintaining a social media following, preferably for a lifestyle brand.
- Experience producing written and visual content.
- Sound judgment, a solid understanding of grammar and ability to write clean copy.
- Recognition and understanding of evolving social tools and trends.
- Experience monitoring social media content and scheduling posts for times that ensure optimal audience engagement.
- Experience using social media management tools and managing a content calendar.
If you’re willing to experiment, not afraid of change, open to hard work, brainstorming, collaboration, big ideas and taking chances, we want to hear from you. This job is based in Birmingham, Ala., but remote work is possible for the right candidate.
Please send the following to email@example.com:
- A short email introduction (include the job title in the subject line)
- Resume and links to your work
- Three examples of how you would share this: https://www.southernthing.com/if-monopoly-were-southern-2638668300.html
Red Clay is part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus.
Advance Local includes MLive Media Group, Advance Ohio, Alabama Media Group, NJ Advance Media, Advance Media NY, MassLive Media, Oregonian Media Group, Staten Island Media Group, Advance 360, The Alpha Group, Headline Studio, PA Media Group, and our Enterprise Digital Innovation team. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.