Culture writer, It’s a Southern Thing
- Full Time
We’re building a new kind of Southern media company. Come join us!
After creating one of the most popular Southern brands on the internet, Red Clay Media is expanding to reach even more people. We’re looking for video producers, writers and social media producers to help us get there.
We’re a team of Southern storytellers – filmmakers, writers and social media experts – who together invented and grew the wildly successful It’s a Southern Thing in 2017. Since then,
we’ve produced more than a billion video views and gained millions of followers. Now, we’re adding more people to our team to explore one of the most culturally rich parts of the United States.
We’re seeking new team members to help us implement some big plans. In this next round of hiring, we’re looking for people who can help us expand the brand of comedy we’re best known for as well as people to help us grow in new areas:
- Inspiration: We want to introduce our audience to more people who call the South home – people like the Queen of Walmart Marlene and the Incredible Mr. E.
- Culture and customs: We’re developing programming that speaks to an authentic, diverse Southern experience – and starts conversations. Do catfish and spaghetti go together?
You’ll create work that will live on our quickly growing digital brands that already reach millions of people – and help us grow our content in new places, from books and merchandise to programming for small and large screens. You’ll join a friendly, fun, creative and passionate team. We’re looking for people willing to experiment, not afraid of change, open to hard work, brainstorming, collaboration, big ideas and taking chances. Our Emmy-award winning team has produced videos that have generated more than a billion views and our Shorty-award winning social brands have millions of followers.
We’re based in Birmingham, Ala., a city with an affordable lifestyle that’s known for top restaurants, stellar music and a growing tech startup scene. Birmingham is a few hours’ drive from beautiful Gulf Coast beaches, Nashville and Atlanta, and it is the heart of a new South revival. We’re open to remote work for some positions. Our parent company is publishing leader Advance Local.
Most of our roles have overlap and we encourage you to take a look to see if there’s a way of fitting your passions and skill sets with us. Don’t be shy, y’all – reach out to us.
Culture writer, It’s a Southern Thing
It’s a Southern Thing is looking for a creative writer to tell stories about Southern culture and experiences for southernthing.com. It’s a Southern Thing takes a lighthearted look at life down South. We publish stories – with a flavor you can only find in the South – that break stereotypes and show the region as the culturally rich, diverse, down-home place it really is. We’re looking for someone to join our growing team to help us build a new kind of Southern media company. The ideal candidate for this role is a self-starter who is passionate about not only telling the stories of the South, but also writing stories that connect people across our large social media audience of more than 3 million people.
This role will require someone who can work independently; is willing to experiment; has a vast appreciation of the incredible people, unique places and amazing food of the South; and understands how to write for an engaged digital audience.
Please take a look at some examples of the types of stories we’d like you to write:
The position is full-time and can be based in Birmingham, Ala., or remote.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience writing lifestyle stories for a digital/social brand.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills. Photography skills are a big plus.
- Plenty of original ideas and sources from all over the South.
- A willingness to experiment with new forms of storytelling.
- Appreciation for the diverse culture of the South.
- Drive and ability to work independently.
This job will require you to:
- Work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Engage with a passionate social media audience.
- Understand methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms.
- Be an active participant in group brainstorms.
If you’re willing to experiment, not afraid of change, open to hard work, brainstorming, collaboration, big ideas and taking chances, we want to hear from you.
Please send the following to email@example.com:
- A short email introduction (include the job title in the subject line)
- A resume and links to your work
- Three story ideas about people, places or food that you think would fit It’s a Southern Thing
Red Clay is part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus.
Advance Local includes MLive Media Group, Advance Ohio, Alabama Media Group, NJ Advance Media, Advance Media NY, MassLive Media, Oregonian Media Group, Staten Island Media Group, Advance 360, The Alpha Group, Headline Studio, PA Media Group, and our Enterprise Digital Innovation team. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.