Designer - Trade Licensing Art Department
- Full Time
Scholastic is seeking a well rounded Designer join the Children’s Licensing and Brands Trade Art Department, to create and design a mix of licensed and fiction preschool through young adult book covers and interiors. Experience or interest in graphic novels a plus.
• Providing effective, high-quality designs
• Manage the design and production of approximately 10 titles per season, working closely with the Associate Art Director and Editors.
• Create mechanicals in accordance to the printer’s specifications and templates.
• Work with electronic file management and be responsible for archiving projects in a timely manner.
• Research, hire, and work with illustrators and freelancers, providing effective art direction and feedback to create compelling covers and interiors. Work with the Manufacturing team through the proofing process and color correction up until the finished book.
• Participation in larger group creative discussions as well as formally presenting designs to explain the concept and art direction to larger teams at Scholastic, including Sales and Marketing. Must be able to collect a range of feedback and communicate that constructively to artists or freelancers or adjust own designs accordingly.
HOW YOU CAN FIT
• Ability to conceptualize ideas, sketch, and create exceptional book designs
• A personal passion for children’s books
• A strong foundation in typography and book layout
• Experience with licensed book design preferred, in formats such as novelty books, activity books, middle grade fiction and graphic novels
• Ability to work on and juggle multiple projects at once and meet tight deadlines
• Thorough knowledge and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Minimum 3+ years design experience in a children’s publishing art department, preferably in Licensed Books.
• Strong portfolio featuring a variety of work and styles, which demonstrates proven ability in book layout, design and typography.
• Candidate should be able to work independently, as well as quickly and efficiently.
• Must have a go-getter spirit, easy-going attitude, and be willing to go above and beyond the job description to get the job done.
• Have experience hiring illustrators and working with artists and their agents.
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.